GEDCOM file too big to email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GEDCOM file too big to email

Another genealogist wants to send me his data, but the GEDCOM file is over 50 Mb and his server won't send anything over 35. He is thinking of cutting it into two parts. The people in his database are not all connected genealogically. I do not know what software he uses. Questions:

(1) How should he divide the files? Maybe "descendants of X" and "not descendants of X" but I don't know how he would do that.

(2) How would I import the files so as to get all the data without duplicates? I read the basics about starting a new family file, importing one file, then importing the other file (with backups of course) but I have never done that.

adTHANKSvance!

Re: GEDCOM file too big to email

WeTransfer

Download the latest version of WeTransfer for Mac for free. Read 7 user reviews and compare with similar apps on MacUpdate.

or: https://wetransfer.com if he has a PC.

Free up to 2Gigs. No need to split.

Receipient gets a link to download.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Thank you, SGilbert. We'll look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by botteron View Post
        Thank you, SGilbert. We'll look into that.
        WeTransfer is a great service; you could also use DropBox if the sender already has that.

It's also not impossible that zipping a 50Mb text file might get it down under 35Mb.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Have you tried compressing (Stuffit or Zip) the Gedcom file. It is a text file after all and you could email the smaller file.

I do it frequently with a 45MB gedcom export.

Alain
          Alain Farhi
          http://www.farhi.org

Comment

GEDCOM files compress to a high degree with common compression tools such as ZIP of STF. Consider there is generally large amounts of white space in the GEDCOM file, and otherwise, it is "just text".

Regards,
            William Taber

Comment

Working...
            X