X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reunion and new Mac OS Mavericks

Originally posted by rnkiii View Post
    All you've done to this point is download the 'updater' portion of the total package. Click on the "Mavericks" icon in the very upper left of your screen, and a drop down menu will appear. Simply click on 'quit' and all will be ok. The installer will reside in your "Applications" folder until you decide to use it. At that time just double click on it and start the installation.

Bob K. rnkiii
    Thanks, Worked well. I suppose I will find out in few weeks if I want to risk using it.
    Delbert Curlin
    Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
    Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
      Thanks, Worked well. I suppose I will find out in few weeks if I want to risk using it.
      Note that in a few weeks they may have found and fixed a few bugs. You ought to check for a newer version of the download at that point, before you install it!

Yeah, I don't like to be on the cutting edge (or the "bleeding edge") of software either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        To the left, only the Finder and Safari icons are not removable. To the right, it's the same as it has been for several versions. Not removables are Applications, Documents, Downloads, Current Work and Trash.
        Umm... on the left only Finder has to say in the Dock. On the right only Trash does.

You can either drag the icons out of the Dock (about halfway up the screen and let go); or right-click on an icon and select Options > Remove from Dock if it's a document or an app which isn't running, or untick Options > Keep in Dock if it's a running app.
        Last edited by Tom Robinson; 04 November 2013, 01:58 PM.
        Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by gilbertdh View Post
          I heard you can't synch your contacts unless they are in iCloud (and that ain't happenin') and that you can't remove certain apps from the dock, even if you don't use them.
          With Mavericks Contacts and Calendar entries can only be synced to an iDevice via iCloud... or using iTunes on Windows.

Everything can be removed from the Dock except Finder and Trash, just like always. Apple loads new icons into the Dock when you upgrade, for Mavericks this is iBooks and Maps, but you can just drag them out again.

I've been impressed with how stable Mavericks is for a .0 release, though some people are experiencing issues with Gmail accounts in Apple Mail.
          Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Robinson View Post
            ...... or right-click on an icon and select Options > Remove from Dock ..........
            Tom: That is exactly how I came up with the results that I presented. Made the menu pop so that I could see if "Remove from Dock" was a presented option. Those I listed did not have that choice in Options. I did not do any dragging to the famous puff. Looks like I should have.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

"With Mavericks Contacts and Calendar entries can only be synced to an iDevice via iCloud... or using iTunes on Windows."

Thanks for verification. I won't do this.

David
              Gilbert - Fulcher - Hackney - Harvey - Holmes - Hall
              in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and beyond.

Comment

If venturing into Mavericks be sure to do a complete backup for emergency restoration.

I have installed Mavericks - twice - and am one of the "lucky" ones where the wifi will not connect to the Internet (mid 2012 Mac Air). There is a small community of such out there. I have tried all the work arounds and fixes to no avail, so I am sitting out until an update is made available.

Thankfully, restoring a backup is simple, just takes a while.

Ken

Comment

Just to round off. Another experience with Mavericks.
                  I was hesitant, but used my white MacBook to trial the new X.
                  This was not what I expected as it took hold and I was only able to start a new setup (?) whatever, and needed to start what appeared as a new user, passwords etc.
                  Could not find my files, programs etc. finally learnt that all was still there but needed to log off and then on using my old log in name etc. ok I get that, and also my wife has her separate log in etc.
                  So all was well and reunion worked as of old.
                  My iMac is still on M/L where all my work is done.
                  I managed a sync ok with the iPad and transfer to the MacBook ok.
                  Not sure what I need as I had to update pages etc on the MacBook. Then the files seem to be all on iCloud and separate versions of iWork.
                  Not to worry I have tons of time and some patience.
                  BTW I backed up the laptop with TimeMachine and that seems to ok. Not checked it yet.
                  I am still hesitant on doing the change on th iMac so no need to hurry there.
                  I read all the community forums on Apple so keep up I hope.
                  Oh, and the download of mavericks was hours even with the best of my ADSL here in country Victoria Australia. Mail is not the best, but won't use Gmail or any other....
                  Noel
                  Noel Fields Australia
                  email > nefields@me.com <
                  Researching Fields, Majewski, Watson, Hurwood, Parker.

Comment

Am I the ONLY one who hates , with a vengeance, the slavish almost annual updates that Apple now goes in for. New operating system for the phone, the iPad , the iMac........

i guess I'll be a lone voice but oh for the days when things were built to last.
                    Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
                      ... i guess I'll be a lone voice but oh for the days when things were built to last.
                      No you are not alone. I'm still getting along just fine with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on both my laptop and desktop and I have no reason to upgrade until my essential applications require me to.
                      Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
                        Am I the ONLY one who hates , with a vengeance, the slavish almost annual updates that Apple now goes in for. New operating system for the phone, the iPad , the iMac........
                        The industry trend is to more frequent updates.

iOS and now OS X are free updates, and you're not forced to upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Robinson View Post
                          The industry trend is to more frequent updates.

iOS and now OS X are free updates, and you're not forced to upgrade
                          funny, I am impressed that Apple continues to improve their products, make them backward compatible, and, fairly cheaply!
                          Mary Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Arthur View Post
                            funny, I am impressed that Apple continues to improve their products, make them backward compatible, and, fairly cheaply!
                            I agree.
                            Terry

Comment

Re: Mavericks Discussion

I'm with you Byron S, and usually in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" club.

But now I have a dilemna. I'm still on Snow Leopard on an early 2008 iMac, but want to down load SketchUp Pro 2013, both for work and to use occasionally with Reunion. But the 2013 version of SketchUp Pro will only work with Lion OSX and later. Question: I'm a little wary of upgrading all the way up to Mavericks as yet - so can I just upgrade to Mountain Lion for now?

Are those already on Mavericks generally happy with it??
                              Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Re: Mavericks Discussion

Am I enamoured with Mavericks? my answer is NO. There are several things that I don't like. One being the Apple Mail app.

You can no longer add multiple addresses to either the To address bar or to Bcc cells automatically. Instead you have to click on the (+) icon on the right of the address slot
                                and add the addresses one by one.

Another is you have lost the ability to make a folder coloured. All you have now is a coloured dot to the right of that folder.

Just two I can readily think of now. There are a few others.

Alan
                                iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Working...
                                X