Slow response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow response

Hello, all, can anyone tell me why at times it takes sooo long for a change to be made - specifically adding children, parents or spouses from the sidebar. I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause, and it doesn't happen all the time. Thanks for any help you can give me!
    I should mention that I have a very large database.
    Last edited by Rondi F; 24 June 2017, 01:17 PM.

Re: Slow response

Is the slow response only in Reunion? Or is it generally happening with other applications? How big is your Reunion database? "at times" Does that mean it is not consistent? If it comes and goes, what actions or other applications running that are associated with the slow times?
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Think at the possibilty of calculating relatives 'on the fly'. Look at the settings: sidebar Relatives.
      Special with very large databases this has impact on speed.
      Frans van Bodegom
      Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        Is the slow response only in Reunion? Or is it generally happening with other applications? How big is your Reunion database? "at times" Does that mean it is not consistent? If it comes and goes, what actions or other applications running that are associated with the slow times?
        Hi, Bob, thanks for responding. It doesn't happen with other applications. I haven't been able to associate it with other applications. I'm usually working with Word or Chrome open.

Comment

Originally posted by fjvanbodegom View Post
          Think at the possibilty of calculating relatives 'on the fly'. Look at the settings: sidebar Relatives.
          Thank you, I will try that!

Comment

I have the same problem; I have 13,700 individuals in my database, and unchecking everything I can possibly uncheck in the sidebar Relatives settings did not speed things up at all when adding a new person.
            PSB99 Family History researcher since 1976. Reunion user since Reunion 5 (1997)

Comment

Also, if you're showing "Marked People" as a result in the People sidebar, adding individuals will be slower. Just switch to showing all people, and Reunion won't recalculate the marked set each time a person is added.
              Dennis J. Cunniff
              Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Pam B. View Post
                I have the same problem; I have 13,700 individuals in my database, and unchecking everything I can possibly uncheck in the sidebar Relatives settings did not speed things up at all when adding a new person.
                I cannot offer a solution other than to comment that with nearly 178000 individuals I have no noticeable problems with speed.

Comment

From my experience there are two possible causes for slow response:

1) Recalculating relationships on the fly (you have already looked into this)
                  2) Having some sort of filter running (this was suggested already in the context of having a filter for marked individuals)

My "mysterious slowdown" turned out to be because I often search for sources and leave the search up. This is the second type of slow down I referenced above. So look at any fields that you might have limited or a search type.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                  X