Reunion 11 family file crashed and won't reopen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion 11 family file crashed and won't reopen

I upgraded to Reunion 11 yesterday. It was working fine on the computer until I created new web cards a couple of hours ago. The family file appeared to crash during or right after the saving process as the cards are not in the folder I manually selected for saving.

Now I can't open the family file. Reunion will open but not the file that crashed (file is viewable on my iPhone via Reunion Touch).

Before the crash, Reunion would automatically open the Dropbox'ed family file.
    Post crash, Reunion defaults to the Application Folder so I navigate to Dropbox but the file still won't open.

I can open the Reunion 11 'Sample' file (Kennedy's) and create a 'new' family file.

Suggestions appreciated.
    Shelly

Re: Reunion 11 family file crashed and won't reopen

One possibility: Accidental move of the family file. It should be located at users/yourname/Dropbox. If it is not there, do a Spotlight search, find it and move it back.

Unknown to me if you know that Dropbox, iCloud Drive and similar things operate by mirroring a file on your local computer. With Reunion, the family file is supposed to be on the main level in Dropbox.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi Shelly,

Open a Finder window (not Reunion) and navigate to your Dropbox folder -- you should see your family file there.

CTRL+Click/Right-Click on the family file and select "View on Dropbox.com" from the menu that opens. This will open a web browser showing the contents of the family file package on Dropbox.

Look for a file named "familyfile.familydata". If you don't see that file listed, click "Show Deleted Files". The file should appear, but grayed out.

Click the three dots on the right of the row for the "familyfile.familydata" file and select "Restore" from the menu that opens. Wait for Dropbox on your Mac to sync, then try opening the family file again.

If the "familyfile.familydata" file is present and you still can't open the family file, please let us know.

Thanks,
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Look for a file named "familyfile.familydata". If you don't see that file listed, click "Show Deleted Files". The file should appear, but grayed out.

Click the three dots on the right of the row for the "familyfile.familydata" file and select "Restore" from the menu that opens. Wait for Dropbox on your Mac to sync, then try opening the family file again.

If the "familyfile.familydata" file is present and you still can't open the family file, please let us know.
        Bob:
        I verified the file name and path is 'users/yourname/Dropbox.' I was aware that an alias wouldn't cut the mustard in Dropbox. The family file itself, with some effort, was moved to Dropbox. Thanks for checking.

Mark:
        I've navigated to my Dropbox folder and opened it in the browser window.
        Dropbox shows a folder with the name I chose for my family tree ending in ".familyfile11" / within that family folder no file or folder is "familyfile.familydata" nor does anything end in ".familydata".

Selecting "Show deleted files" - no file carries the name you reference and nothing is grayed out. There are 3 items that are titled with the name of my family tree: 1 is just the name of the tree, 2nd ends with alias, 3rd is titled the same as in the main Dropbox folder (the name I chose for my tree) ending in ".familyfile11". Not sure what to do next.
        Shelly

Comment

Originally posted by Shelly Low Arnold View Post
          Selecting "Show deleted files" - no file carries the name you reference...
          Are you inside the folder that ends in ".familyfile11" (this is the family file package, which appears as a single file on your Mac but as a folder on Dropbox) when you click "Show deleted files"?
          Mark Harrison
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Are you inside the folder that ends in ".familyfile11" (this is the family file package, which appears as a single file on your Mac but as a folder on Dropbox) when you click "Show deleted files"?
            Mark: It doesn't appear that I was. Once inside ".familyfile11" folder and selecting 'show deleted files' - there it was! It is now restored.

This also fixed my ReunionTouch iPad issue of 'no people found' See thread here. (at least so far) so there must have been a problem from the get-go that for some reason didn't affect my iPhone and still allowed by Reunion 11 to run for 24 hours before it crashed.

Mark and Bob, thank you SO much attending to my problem. With some assistance, Mac issues pretty easy to fix.
            Last edited by Shelly Low Arnold; 20 April 2017, 07:33 PM.
            Shelly

Comment

Working...
            X