Exporting Gedcom file to Ancestry.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting Gedcom file to Ancestry.com

Would someone consider giving me a step by step instructions to exporting part of my family tree to Ancestry. I want to do my mother and father's excluding their children. When I marked my parents everyone was marked including their children. I am not sure what do do after I select File-Export-Gedcom. I would appreciate any help I can get. I have done my DNA on Ancestry so would like to get my tree on their site.
    Nancy

Re: Exporting Gedcom file to Ancestry.com

Originally posted by nancyl44 View Post
    Would someone consider giving me a step by step instructions to exporting part of my family tree to Ancestry. I want to do my mother and father's excluding their children. When I marked my parents everyone was marked including their children. I am not sure what do do after I select File-Export-Gedcom. I would appreciate any help I can get. I have done my DNA on Ancestry so would like to get my tree on their site.
    Nancy

Well, the key is getting the right people marked. To export your mother's ancestors, you should unmark everyone in the familyfile and then mark only her ancestors and their spouses. To export your father's ancestors, you should unmark everyone in the familyfile and then mark only his ancestors and their spouses.

Once you select File -> Export -> Gedcom, you'll see a dialog like the one pictured. You should mark the button "Marked People (#) and their Spouses", and you should make sure that "and their children" isn't marked. You may or may not want to include multimedia link and sources. Click export and you should the the GEDCOM you want. Then repeat the process for your other parent.
    Attached Files
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

This would appear to give you 2 Gedcom files. Basic Ancestry does not support merging so you would end up with two family files on Ancestry. These can only be merged using an off-line program (I think it is called FTM) and is an extra charge.

I do not have much experience on marking people in Reunion so I cannot help you here. But I suggest you think about what you really want Ancestry to show. e.g. By excluding your parents children, are you intending to include or exclude their spouse with the ancestors of their spouse ?

Comment

Thank you for your responses and help. I did want to export both parents together into one family tree file. Can it be done the same way? Unmark everyone then mark the two of them?
        Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by nancyl44 View Post
          Thank you for your responses and help. I did want to export both parents together into one family tree file. Can it be done the same way? Unmark everyone then mark the two of them?
          Nancy
          Yes, unmark everyone, then mark the people you want to export and proceed as above. That will give you a GEDCOM file with two separate families in it, your father's and your mother's.
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Thank you Dennis.

Comment

Now that this is solved:

Dennis, do you really have over 491 thousand in your family file? Just WOW!!!!
              rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
                Now that this is solved:

Dennis, do you really have over 491 thousand in your family file? Just WOW!!!!
                Well, yes. I try to limit it to really close relatives
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

Ha Ha, that is a lot. I thought mine was large with 2,092, and some of those are not blood relatives. I did a direct line for all my kids, grandchildren, and even son-in-law for Christmas, so these additional people on my tree are not related to me, but that was the only way I could think of to do it. By the way, they all love it.
                  Nancy

Comment

Working...
                  X