Incorrect place names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect place names

When filling in a place name I get the list of names that are close or previously used. This is great except when there are a ton of misspelled or all caps place names to wade through. Is there a way to eliminate all the extraneous place names?

Also is there a way to change all place names to upper and lower case without having to change each place name individually? A setting somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

P. Brough

Re: Incorrect place names

Originally posted by broughps View Post
    When filling in a place name I get the list of names that are close or previously used.
    If you're getting it as an option, it's being used somewhere in the file. If you eliminate all mention of it in the file, it will disappear from the place list.

This is great except when there are a ton of misspelled or all caps place names to wade through. Is there a way to eliminate all the extraneous place names?
    If you select "Places" in the Navbar (on the left), the Sidebar (on the Right) will become a list of Places. You can examine the place names there, and correct any that need to be corrected.

Also is there a way to change all place names to upper and lower case without having to change each place name individually? A setting somewhere?
    Sadly no, I think.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      If you're getting it as an option, it's being used somewhere in the file. If you eliminate all mention of it in the file, it will disappear from the place list.
      I'll get the same place with multiple listings, that include all caps and misspellings. I want to eliminate the extras for the same place name.

If you select "Places" in the Navbar (on the left), the Sidebar (on the Right) will become a list of Places. You can examine the place names there, and correct any that need to be corrected.
      That helps some. I can go in and in one shot change the all caps place names to upper and lower case (for each place name of course).

Now if only you could match and merge place names like you can people and sources. Might have to add that to the wish list.

Thanks for your help.

P Brough.
      Last edited by broughps; 11 April 2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Correcting place names from the navigation bar eliminated all the extraneous place names. Woot!

Comment

Now if only you could match and merge place names like you can people and sources. Might have to add that to the wish list.
          You CAN merge place names, it's just not a "match and merge" process. Maybe you've already discovered this based on your final post. But for anybody else:

If you have two place names that are essentially dupes but different, drag the one you don't want on top of the one you DO want to keep. (Do this in the right side bar after choosing Places.) You'll get a little message telling you in how many instances it will be changed. Click OK and the old, bad ones go away and every person who had that old place in an entry now has the preferred place.

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
            You CAN merge place names, it's just not a "match and merge" process. Maybe you've already discovered this based on your final post. But for anybody else:

If you have two place names that are essentially dupes but different, drag the one you don't want on top of the one you DO want to keep. (Do this in the right side bar after choosing Places.) You'll get a little message telling you in how many instances it will be changed. Click OK and the old, bad ones go away and every person who had that old place in an entry now has the preferred place.

Susan
            Now that I did NOT know. Very useful!

Comment

Working...
            X