X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backup Reunion Plan

Originally posted by Jeff89 View Post
    That is the program that quit working after a day. I couldn't do anything to TM and I was so irritated with TM by then that I trashed Time Machine Editor (rather than downloading another copy) and switched to SuperDuper! Then, I found out that I couldn't get rid of TM. I'm not a happy camper.

Jeff
    Did you flip the TME switch to OFF before trashing? Their website is specific about that. (http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/) Did you check your scheduling in SuperDuper? If you like six hours, you may have set SuperDuper at six sometime in the past..... These are just troubleshooting suggestions.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

SuperDuper! doesn't turn Time Machine on, to the best of my knowledge. The error message I get comes every 6 hours, the interval I set with Time Machine Editor before that program quit working. The message arrives 3 hours after SuperDuper! finishes its backup. I don't think it has anything to do with SuperDuper! - it's a TM and Apple issue.
      If it's sticking to the TimeMachineEditor settings, then it isn't a TM and Apple issue, it's looks more like a TME issue with residual code left somewhere - I'd try reinstalling TME, switching it off, then uninstalling TME to probably solve the problem.
      Peter Cook
      Rossmoyne, Western Australia
      OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

Comment

I found that the interruption to my work of having to remember, every 55 minutes, to shut down Reunion so that Time Machine could do a backup without causing problems with Reunion, was too much to deal with. I can remember every day at 6:00 p.m. (helped by Reminder), but every hour?

Jeff
        Jeff, I'm wondering where you got the idea that it was necessary to "every 55 minutes, to shut down Reunion so that Time Machine could do a backup without causing problems with Reunion" I've had Time Machine since it first came out and never had a problem with it running all the time when my computer is on. It has never caused me a problem with Reunion or any other application, but it has saved the day for me several times when a hard drive went bad. Much of the discussion of Time Machine here and elsewhere seems to reveal little understanding of what Time Machine is, how it functions, and how to use it.
        John McGee Leggett, Jr.
        Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
        Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Leggett View Post
          Jeff, I'm wondering where you got the idea that it was necessary to "every 55 minutes, to shut down Reunion so that Time Machine could do a backup without causing problems with Reunion" I've had Time Machine since it first came out and never had a problem with it running all the time when my computer is on. It has never caused me a problem with Reunion or any other application, but it has saved the day for me several times when a hard drive went bad. Much of the discussion of Time Machine here and elsewhere seems to reveal little understanding of what Time Machine is, how it functions, and how to use it.
          If you accept the default settings for Time Machine, it runs every hour. Thus, my comment regarding 55 minutes. Yes, the interval for TM can be changed with third-party software, but not from within Time Machine. Regarding shutting down Reunion before doing a backup: I got that idea from Leister:

I perfectly understand what Time Machine is: it is Apple's attempt to put mom-and-pop backup software developers out of business, the same business model that worked so brilliantly for Bill Gates, for a time.

What SuperDuper! does that Time Machine does not is that SuperDuper! creates a bootable backup. When your hard drive went south, were you able to boot from your backup?

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, we are reading that advice from Leister differently. You have taken it that a back-up must not be made with Reunion open: John L. and I that a restore must not be made with Reunion open. Reading it as you do, then yes, that would be a real pain.

Comment

Not sure what all the hoopla is about in regards to Time Machine. I have a MacBook and a MacBook Pro backing up to Time Capsule over Wi-Fi and an iMac27
              Hayward...
              Mac Studio, A1 Max, 64GB memory, Sonoma 14.2.1

Comment

I........I perfectly understand what Time Machine is: it is Apple's attempt to put mom-and-pop backup software developers out of business, the same business model that worked so brilliantly for Bill Gates, for a time........
                Quote from Leister: "Before restoring any family files from Time Machine, be sure to quit the Reunion application. From the menu at the top, choose Reunion -> Quit Reunion." Substitute the name of any application on your Mac and this statement is 100% correct.

What it is saying to to quit the app to assure that you do not further update any file created by that application while you are in the process of recovering files. To do otherwise would create a mess.

Beg to differ with your attitude about Apple's intentions. Time Machine falls, company philosophy-wise, in the same category as locking up iPhoto --- which is to provided better support more efficiently. Time Machine has made it very easy for Apple's help staff rescue users as iPhoto being locked up made a significant dent in help calls.
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

FWIW I don't keep my back-up hard drive connected to my laptop all the time. Time Machine gives me a reminder that it's been 10 days since I last backed up, for when I forget.
                  Jan Powell
                  in Wellington, New Zealand
                  http://www.rellyseeker.nz/
                  --
                  Apple/Mac since 1987, Reunion since 1993

Comment

Regarding shutting down Reunion before doing a backup: I got that idea from Leister:

I perfectly understand what Time Machine is: it is Apple's attempt to put mom-and-pop backup software developers out of business, the same business model that worked so brilliantly for Bill Gates, for a time.
                    Jeff
                    At the risk of continuing a pointless discussion, may I point out a few things.

1. Jeff, you got that idea from a MISREADING of what Leister wrote.

2. You do NOT perfectly understand what Time Machine is; a negative attitude toward it and toward Apple is clouding your understanding.

3. Criticism of Time Machine and Apple is ok but it is more helpful if it is accurate.

4. Super Duper is a great program and I have it and use it (though not as you do), but it is far more difficult for a novice to use than Time Machine.
                    John McGee Leggett, Jr.
                    Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
                    Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Cook View Post
                      If it's sticking to the TimeMachineEditor settings, then it isn't a TM and Apple issue, it's looks more like a TME issue with residual code left somewhere - I'd try reinstalling TME, switching it off, then uninstalling TME to probably solve the problem.
                      Your suggestions were most helpful and fixed the problem for me. The first time I trashed TME, not all of the files were deleted. But reinstalling and then trashing TME solved the problem - I had to wait a few days to be sure. I use an app called AppTrap that makes sure all associated files of a program are trashed, along with the app. I didn't get a dialog box from AppTrap the first time I deleted TME but I did the second time. Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X