ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Genealogy

Old 05 January 2018, 06:36 PM

Default Re: file naming conventions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgenealogy View Post
Be careful with aliases! I'm starting to notice that many alias links no longer work after I update to a new Mac OS! So, I now use "duplicate". I have a much higher capacity of memory than was available when Ben developed his system. So far, I'm okay.

Regards,
Kaye
Thanks Kaye. Did you ever figure out why your aliases were lost? Was there a pattern to the losses?

Grant
Old 05 January 2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gathompson56 View Post
Thanks Kaye. Did you ever figure out why your aliases were lost? Was there a pattern to the losses?

Grant
Hi Grant,
No, didn't take the time to look. I have a lot of them. I just leave them, until I come across one. Then I change it to a duplicate from the original.
Kaye
-Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.13.5, iOS11.4, R12, Safari11.1.1
Old 03 February 2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgenealogy View Post
Be careful with aliases! I'm starting to notice that many alias links no longer work after I update to a new Mac OS!
Iíve used aliases on macOS for many years without problems. Thatís not to say that problems canít occur, however.

For those who may not be familiar with them, an alias in macOS is a small file that points to another file. As long as the original file the alias points to remains available, the alias will find it. It doesnít matter if the original file has been moved or renamed, as long as the original file is available, the alias will find it.

Hereís a much better explanation than Iím able to give.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/m...cles/3920.aspx

Bob

ReunionTalk > Genealogy > file naming conventions