ancestry urls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ancestry urls

I've been away from Reunion for a few years and need to get back up to speed. I am trying to enter in source information for records I found on Ancestry. If I enter the url for the source will it show as a linked source when I upload from Reunion to Ancestry? or am I wasting my time?

Re: ancestry urls

Originally posted by eventide View Post
    I've been away from Reunion for a few years and need to get back up to speed. I am trying to enter in source information for records I found on Ancestry. If I enter the url for the source will it show as a linked source when I upload from Reunion to Ancestry? or am I wasting my time?
    I have a similar question. With the advent of DNA testing on Ancestry.com, I have added many more new people to my Ancestry tree. What might be the best way of adding these new people and their source reference to my Reunion 11 file to update it, using GedCom, perhaps? Must I go record-by-record and re-record everything or is there some way to upload the Ancestry info, but not lose my Reunion Notes? ... caught between a rock and a hard place here. Looking for the simplest strategy merging these two databases and/or for updating my Reunion data using Ancestry.com as the source. Anyone?

Comment

Would appreciate help if anyone knows.

Comment

Originally posted by eventide View Post
        Would appreciate help if anyone knows.
        I record whatever the source shown on Ancestry is but not any URL's as they are not exactly permanent in nature. I'm not yet into recording DNA info, so I'll skip that question.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks Bob. That's true about them not being permanent - but do you know if that theory works? If I enter the url will it link in Ancestry?

Comment

Putting URL's in sources is not exactly a subject that I am well versed on, so I welcome anyone to jump in here. Recommend that you read through the section of the manual titled The Source Window. There is material in there about URL's.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Currently, there are only two Genealogy Software products that can directly download and 'automatically' integrate data and images from Ancestry Trees, as direct access to Ancestry Trees can only be achieved using Ancestry.com's API (Application Programming Interface). That facility is also only available to Ancestry Subscribers who maintain an Online Ancestry Tree and use one of those specific software products.

Neither of those products is Reunion but, as this forum isn't really for discussion of 'competitor products', I won't mention them by name. I assume most people will know which they are anyway.

Both of those products can download an existing Ancestry Tree, with or without all linked documents from the Ancestry Website (including the 'free' version of one of them), but you would still have to manage the merging of data with a Reunion database via GEDCOM export/import from the individual application.

Mervyn
              Last edited by mjashby; 07 December 2017, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X