Sharing Status> host> Error:File Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Status> host> Error:File Size

Looking for an explanation as to why my iPad and iPhone are not showing updates made on the Mac so that I can re-establish sharing.

Opening the hammer tool and selecting 'Sharing Status' to show 'Sharing' details
    I select "/my family file name" then
    scrolling to the bottom under the heading 'host' it reads
    "Error:File Size" on both devices.

Does this mean I no longer have enough storage space in each device? I've only been using ReunionTouch for a few days and haven't made that many additions. I've deleted many Apps on both 16GB devices. Available storage shows 890.4MB on iPad and 1.56GB on the iPhone.

Thumbnails have been rebuilt using the default settings.
    Last edited by Shelly Low Arnold; 28 April 2017, 11:09 PM.
    Shelly

Re: Sharing Status> host> Error:File Size

Even the Sample Family (the Kennedy's) with only 49 people is 95 MB. You very likely do have insufficient memory storage available.

Getting rid of apps is not necessarily going to help. It's size that is the issue. Go to Settings > General > Storage > Manage Storage. At the top of the resulting screen, you will see your overall Used and Available numbers. Below that, all of your apps will be listed along with their size. Poking the ">" at the right will give you even more detail. Please note that the apps are listed by size -- largest at the start to smallest at the end of the list.

In the larger picture, you should consider upgrading to an iPad with 64 or 128 MB. The thing is that the iOS takes most of 6 MB to run, so you really have only a little over 10 MB to use.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Shelly Low Arnold View Post
      Looking for an explanation as to why my iPad and iPhone are not showing updates made on the Mac so that I can re-establish sharing.

Opening the hammer tool and selecting 'Sharing Status' to show 'Sharing' details
      I select "/my family file name" then
      scrolling to the bottom under the heading 'host' it reads
      "Error:File Size" on both devices.

Does this mean I no longer have enough storage space in each device? I've only been using ReunionTouch for a few days and haven't made that many additions. I've deleted many Apps on both 16GB devices. Available storage shows 890.4MB on iPad and 1.56GB on the iPhone.

Thumbnails have been rebuilt using the default settings.
      From your Macintosh, find out what size your family file is - navigate to to where the file is in the DropBox folder and highlight it and then press Command-i to bring up the Get Info window which will tell you what size it is.

If it is substantially smaller than 890MB then it should fit on the iPad and the iPhone.

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        Getting rid of apps is not necessarily going to help. It's size that is the issue. Go to Settings > General > Storage > Manage Storage. At the top of the resulting screen, you will see your overall Used and Available numbers. Below that, all of your apps will be listed along with their size. Poking the ">" at the right will give you even more detail. Please note that the apps are listed by size -- largest at the start to smallest at the end of the list.
        Originally posted by Roger View Post
        From your Macintosh, find out what size your family file is - navigate to to where the file is in the DropBox folder and highlight it and then press Command-i to bring up the Get Info window which will tell you what size it is.

If it is substantially smaller than 890MB then it should fit on the iPad and the iPhone.
        Bob,
        I did exactly as you recommend and removed the largest ones I could do without, barely increasing available storage. Unfortunately, the largest files are used the most.
        iPad RT file size = 169 MB, 10th from top; available storage is now 897 MB (up from 890.4)
        iPhone RT file size = 173.2 MB, 5th from top; available storage is now 1.67 GB (up from 1.56)

Roger - theKiwi,
        The Reunion file size in DropBox on the Mac is "132.9 MB on disk." I'm not a file size expert but, based on available storage, it sure looks like I should have enough space on both devices.
        Shelly

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
          From your Macintosh, find out what size your family file is...in the DropBox folder...If it is substantially smaller than 890MB then it should fit on the iPad and the iPhone.
          Roger,
          The DropBox file size is 132.9 MB, far lower than 890 MB and well within the limits of available storage on both devices. Additional details can be seen in my response to Bob White in post 50837 where I also quoted you.
          Shelly

Comment

Seeing that it appears that you have sufficient memory, my thinking is going down a less traveled path. All files on all platforms do a self check on opening. There are several error conditions that can generate file size error messages and prevent file opening to protect the computer and/or the file. Probably the Leister folks will need to help you on this one.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

For the first time since installing ReunionTalk several days ago, both the iPad and iPhone automatically updated the family file as soon as it was selected. Low and behold, the family file content in Reunion 11 on the Mac appears in ReunionTouch!

The "host> Error: File Size" now reads "host> File Size: 45." Other than adding and editing content in Reunion 11 on the Mac, I haven't touched any settings since my last post here yesterday morning.

Sure wish I knew what changed in case it happens again.
              Last edited by Shelly Low Arnold; 30 April 2017, 03:25 PM.
              Shelly

Comment

Working...
              X