Sort dates - old-style calendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort dates - old-style calendar

I've wavered over the years about old-style calendar dates like 1711/2, at one time always preferring how it would have been (1711) and then how it would be reckoned now (1712) and then recording it with the best of both worlds.

When you plump for 1711/2 or the like Reunion will prompt you as to how you want the date sorted.

However, I think I've made a mistake some times, going for 1711 instead of 1712. At least, there's been inconsistency.

Could someone tell me how to view all these custom dates and to double check how they have been sorted?

Re: Sort dates - old-style calendar

Originally posted by scatchardfamily View Post
    Could someone tell me how to view all these custom dates and to double check how they have been sorted?
    There may be a better way, but you could Find all birth dates that contain "/".

You'd have to include a search for each kind of date (birth, baptism, death, burial), but they could all be combined in one search with "or".
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Good thinking, Dennis.

I can search for "Any Date" "Contains" "/"?

Don't think I understand where "Or" comes in –*could you explain?

And then, having found them, do I have to go through the dates, click Enter on each and then check I have sorted them correctly? Seems like there must be a better way –*after all, Reunion must be storing that data somewhere?

Comment

I can search for "Any Date" "Contains" "/"?

Don't think I understand where "Or" comes in –*could you explain?

And then, having found them, do I have to go through the dates, click Enter on each and then check I have sorted them correctly? Seems like there must be a better way –*after all, Reunion must be storing that data somewhere?
        I forgot about "Any Date", so you don't need to bother with the Ors. I had envisioned the longer search below, but you can use the shorter one you thought of. And I think yours has the benefit of picking up marriage dates.

I do think you need to click on them to check them. There may be a better way, but I don't know it.
        Attached Files
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Perhaps someone at Leister could tell us where this data is stored and how one views it?

Comment

Perhaps someone at Leister could tell us where this data is stored and how one views it?
            The data is stored in the "sort date" field of the custom date. As per the manual, "If you select the custom date entry in the Events section of the Edit Person panel and then press Command-E, the Sort Date window will appear." You can edit the Sort Date and save the new value there.

It's still a one-by-one proposition.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
              The data is stored in the "sort date" field of the custom date. As per the manual, "If you select the custom date entry in the Events section of the Edit Person panel and then press Command-E, the Sort Date window will appear." You can edit the Sort Date and save the new value there.

It's still a one-by-one proposition.
              That is new information to me. Nice to know. Thanks!
              Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                That is new information to me. Nice to know. Thanks!
                You're welcome

For me, it's just as easy to edit the custom date (add a space and remove it, or something similar), hit return, and then edit the sort date in the window that will show up.
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

Many thanks - and yes that is easy either way.

But what I am really wanting to know is: is there a way to see ALL custom dates within the family file and therefore see pretty easily for everyone whether their custom dates are going to be sorted 'correctly' (or, rather, simply view how they will be sorted)?

I mean, presumably Reunion has an overall sort sequence for every date in the file so I'm presuming these will be a subset of that data?

Comment

is there a way to see ALL custom dates within the family file
                    Here's a thought. You can view everyone in your file in the list window. Sort it by birthdates. Scroll through to see if any are out of order. Repeat with death dates.

If any date is out of order you can edit it and reset the sort date.
                    Dennis J. Cunniff
                    Click here to email me

Comment

I do find it very hard to believe there is not a global solution here. Any further thoughts from anyone (people at Leister Pro?)?

Comment

Re: is there a way to see ALL custom dates?

...is there a way to see ALL custom dates within the family file...
                        Yes. Try this...
                        In the Navbar on the left, click List.
                        Then click Events on the left.
                        Click the Settings button at the bottom (the gear icon).
                        Make the settings look like this...
                        -All people
                        -Events with or without places
                        -With custom dates
                        Click Update.
                        Frank Leister
                        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Frank - that's brilliant! I'm sure this will be useful to know, and for everyone here.

Could you also let me know two things:

1) Is there a way to see the custom date and the sort date side by side –*so you can check they tally properly? In other words, to check for mistakes.

2) I saw somewhere here that custom dates do not transfer 'properly' to GEDCOM? Is this correct, or could you outline how they are handled?

Many thanks again.

Comment

Frank - that's brilliant! I'm sure this will be useful to know, and for everyone here.

Could you also let me know two things:

1) Is there a way to see the custom date and the sort date side by side –*so you can check they tally properly? In other words, to check for mistakes.
                            I've just realised they will sort by clicking on the arrows. If you could answer the other question?

Comment

Working...
                            X