This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Source Citations

I agree with Sue. I don't worry terribly much about 'proper formatting'. I try to keep my source references simple enough to be readable, but with enough information that I, or anyone else, could find them again. If you can find it, you can evaluate it.
    Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
      I agree with Sue. I don't worry terribly much about 'proper formatting'. I try to keep my source references simple enough to be readable, but with enough information that I, or anyone else, could find them again. If you can find it, you can evaluate it.
      IMHO, this is the key. You want your source citations to allow another researcher to start where you were, and not have to search the world for the raw sources you used.

The published guides are fine if you like them. And if you use your data to complete your PhD dissertation, the University will tell you want format they require.

The key is to have sources, my mom and her sister spent days at the National Archives, but they did it all by hand, and didn't keep the kind of records we wish for now. On paper, it would have been a huge job. Computers do make it easier today

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Powell View Post
        I beg to differ on this one. I was taught how to use sources when I was at university. I prefer to use my own sources templates following the guidelines I learn there and guidelines from such worthy institutions as Oxford University.
        I'll second that! In fact, while EE is touted as the "standard," by the American genealogy organizations, there are other quite accepted formats.
        Bonnie Samuel
        Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Helmond View Post
          I use Ben Sayers' 'Practical Citation' because I found the academic guides too inflexible to cope with the many and varied sources of one's genealogy research. I believe that if I was able to find the information, then surely others will be able to. I just make sure that others using my sources can find the information too.

I tried using one of the 'Evidence Explained' guides but got confused when some of the examples didn't follow the theory. Ben's system works for me, every time.
          Sayer's "Practical Citation" is good, and flexible too. One can certainly write a proper source citation using Sayer's model.
          Bonnie Samuel
          Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

Working...
          X