This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synching without deleting?

This may sound like a beginner question, but I have been using Reunion 11 and ReunionTouch for a while now, and thought I understood how RT operates. I always assumed that once I change my base file on my Mac, and downloaded that file from Dropbox to my iPad, that the file on my iPad would synch when I opened it.

Today I tried opening my file in RT, and "encouraged" RT to synch with Dropbox -- i.e., "Close this File" then "Download a File from Dropbox..." In the past that always brought the latest version to the iPad.

However, this time RT opened a version of my file, it went through a short period with the "download running" symbol spinning next to the wifi icon, and then settled in as if the synch was complete. However, the number of people was wrong (too few), and people I had just entered into my Mac version were there, but NOT connected to anyone!

I tried this several times with the same result, so I finally gave up, deleted my iPad version and am now going a fresh download. (Thankfully, that has worked and the new folks are connected again.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems as if "synching" should not mean "you have to do a complete download all over again." I have always been frustrated that I had to "encourage" RT to synch a file using the sequence described above, instead of simply having RT synch it automatically when I open the file on the iPad.

On a related note, when I opened the badly synched file and went to look for someone, the search field took forever to clear itself of the previous search name. Is this a sign that there was problem with the indexing on the old file?

Mike Phelps
    Mike Phelps
    Goodyear, AZ
    Researching: PHELPS, WATKINS, SPENCER, ALSFASSER, WEMHOENER, BLANCHARD, MARQUETTE, CHAVEZ, VALENZUELA

Re: Synching without deleting?

Originally posted by mwphelps View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems as if "synching" should not mean "you have to do a complete download all over again."
    It's not necessary to completely re-download the file. The only steps you need to take in order for changes to sync is to open the file while the device is connected to the internet and wait a few seconds for ReunionTouch to check Dropbox for changes and download them.

However, the number of people was wrong (too few), and people I had just entered into my Mac version were there, but NOT connected to anyone!
    It sounds like there may have been an issue with the download of the file. Deleting and re-downloading the file would solve such problems in most cases.

On a related note, when I opened the badly synched file and went to look for someone, the search field took forever to clear itself of the previous search name. Is this a sign that there was problem with the indexing on the old file?
    It's possible, but hard to know for certain at this point.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Question: Synching is working fine when using my iphone, ioad and imac, I just need to make sure the internet is available before running reunion or reuiontouch. The problem lies when synching with my cousins ipad and his purchased reuniontouch, it has NOT keep up with the changes to the master file and deleteing and downlaoding again would be a pain considering over 2,000 photos.

Why doesn't my cousins ipad synch like mine does?

Comment

Go to http://www.leisterpro.com/reuniontouch/using.php. This page has your answer.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
        X