ReunionTalk  

Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion

Old 18 April 2006, 07:39 AM

Default Using Patrinomics

I am researching three families in Norway which use the patrinomic names.
Do you have any suggestion on how to list these names in Reunion? I am not sure whether to put the patrinomic name with the first name and the farm name (which they all chose to use as a surname when Norway required a surname) as the last name, or to put the patrinomic name as part of the last name. For example: (given name) Isak Gabrielson (surname) Rogsvåg or
(given name)Isak (surname) Gabrielson Rogsvåg. Also, this particular name tended to change over time in the spelling. Should I use the spelling as it appears in church records for each individual, or should I make a common spelling as it is used today?

I have found the Digital Archives of Norway to be an excellent source. Census, immigration and digitized church records. An fairly easy website to navigate.

Thank you.
Sharon Lunde-researching Lunde, Roksvaag, Skjefte (all farm names that were adopted as surnames)
Old 18 April 2006, 03:45 PM

Wink Re: Using Patrinomics

I haven't found any easy answers to the question of how to enter Norwegian surnames. Most of my ancestors are Norwegian and this is the system that I use, after trying several different options. For those who spent their lives in Norway, during the time in which patronomics were in use, I use the patronomic. Although Norwegians used the farm name to distinguish between individuals of the same name, the farm name wasn't actually their surname. It was more of an address and so it changed each time they moved to a new area.(For more on this see the John Follesdal article on Norwegian naming practices at http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na12.html) This happened frequently with many individuals. For instance, one set of my ancestors were very poor and they moved every couple of years looking for work, so they lived at many different farms. If I used the farm name as a surname, it would have to change frequently. Another ancestor was very wealthy and owned land in seven different farms spending time at various farms throughout the year, so I would have to arbitrarily chose which farm name to use if I didn't want use the patronomic. So not only is it more accurate to enter the patronomic as the surname, it is also much easier from a practical point of view. I do make note of each of the farms where my ancestors lived in the residence field and if possible the years that they lived there. (There are some exceptions to this. Some noble families, as far back as the middle ages did not use patronomics, in these cases I use what ever name they used, which may or may not be a farm name) About 1900, Norwegians began to drop the use of patronomics. For this time period, I enter the surname that my ancestor used. Many of my ancestors took the father's patronomic as their surname. (For instance the son of Lars Olson used the surname Olson, rather than Larson, which he would have used under a patronomic system.) If your ancestors took the farm name as there surname that is what I would use for that time period. For those who immigrated I use which ever name my ancestor took as a surname in this country. Many early Norwegian immigrants took the farm name that they were using when they immigrated as their surname once they left Norway, but kept their patronomic as a middle name. In these instances I enter the patronomic as a middle name and the farm name as surname. For instance my ggrandfather signed his name as Peder (first) Anderson (middle) Tofte (surname) after coming to the United States, so this is how I entered it. His children all went by the surname Tofte, so in their generation I dropped the Anderson from the middle name. Other ancestors dropped the farm name and used the patronomic only. In some cases they used only the farm name and dropped the patronomic altogether, both as a surname or middle name. I take my clue from what ever they did. As far as which spelling to use, technically you should enter the name as you find it in the church records. But I have found that spellings are often not consistant from one record to the next and so I decided to choose one spelling and go with that, but make note of spelling variations.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Using Patrinomics

Thank you. I have done much the same thing as you have, but it is always good to have a second opinion. I have read the article on naming practices in the past and that has helped me also.
Old 18 April 2006, 07:34 PM

Wink Re: Using Patronomics

Patronomics always leads to interesting situations. My Danish grandmother and her siblings were born during the period when the practice of patronomics was being discontinued. The church records used the patrinomics in that the father's name was Johan Larsen and the children were all born as Johansen. Sometime between their births in Denmark and the 1900 census records in Minnesota, they changed their last name to Larsen. Even though my grandmother was married to a Hansen in Denmark, she used Larsen as her maiden name in the US. One brother immigrated to California and he retained the Johansen name. It certainly made it easier to track him down for family history information. I have been so "blessed" with the names Larsen and Hansen to search.

I do not know if it is correct, but I list the children's sirname as Larsen, following it with Johannsen in parenthesis. How do others handle this situation?

Beverly in Ohio searching Hansen; Larsen; Johansen; Mogensen and Brun
Old 12 May 2012, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Norwegian names

I have several thousand Norwegians in my Reunion file. I put the patronomic with the first name and the farm name(s) in succession as the surname name. Since men who moved to their wife's farms then used her farm name. That way I can find him by either "name" which was actually his address. He might be Johannes Andersson Elvik in one record and Johhannes Anderssson Dyvik in another record, depending on the date of the record and when he moved.

And if the spelling changed when they came to America, I include that spelling in the surname as well. For example: Dyvik / Duvick and Elvik / Elwick.
Roberta

Last edited by Roberta; 12 May 2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling

ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion > Using Patrinomics