X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-spouse spouse as parent?!

Dear all

I have found a couple of relations, children of my great grandmother, whose fathers are unknown. Is the best or only way to treat this in Reunion to set up a "spouse" for my great grandmother, a different one for each child (to allow for the fact that the father may or may not have been the same), and add a child for the new "couple"? I am puzzled, because in neither case was there a marriage, so spouse is hardly the best term.

Any advice appreciated.

Re: Non-spouse spouse as parent?!

Originally posted by scatchardfamily View Post
    Dear all

I have found a couple of relations, children of my great grandmother, whose fathers are unknown. Is the best or only way to treat this in Reunion to set up a "spouse" for my great grandmother, a different one for each child (to allow for the fact that the father may or may not have been the same), and add a child for the new "couple"? I am puzzled, because in neither case was there a marriage, so spouse is hardly the best term.

Any advice appreciated.
    Clearly the child had two parents. Although the action in Reunion is "Add New Spouse" this doesn't indicate any particular relationship between the two parents. The link is set separately and Reunion provides the options of Marriage, Common Law, and Unmarried.

Where I have the same situation (unknown father) I create a new spouse with the name "Unknown" and either leave the status as either unset or unmarried.

I don't know how I would enter things for AID. Perhaps I'd just leave the father as blank.

Comment

If you don't know any of the father(s), I would enter the name as "unknown", and attach a note that the fathers may be different, but put all the children in the same family. That way it is easier to see all the children listed together on one family group sheet or family card.

I've done this for one great aunt even though I know her three daughters all have different fathers.

Here is the way the family group sheet for them comes out:

(I wish we could tell Reunion to output the woman's name at the top of the sheet in such cases where the male "spouse" is just a placeholder.)
      Last edited by TeriPettit; 16 April 2012, 12:11 PM.
      My Home Page: http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Jackson View Post
        I don't know how I would enter things for AID. Perhaps I'd just leave the father as blank.
        Sorry, what is AID?

Comment

Originally posted by scatchardfamily View Post
          Sorry, what is AID?
          Artificial Insemination by Donor.
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
          X