High Sierra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Sierra

From Macworld: "at last year’s WWDC, a new Apple File System (APFS) was announced....High Sierra... the new default file system, bringing an advanced 64-bit architecture.... [It] also brings some heavy-duty security, including built‑in encryption... Apple will start to phase out support for 32-bit software in macOS. In January 2018 (High Sierra will be released months before that), new apps submitted by developers to the App Store must be 64-bit apps. Also, all apps and app updates must be 64-bit by June 2018. Eventually, 32-bit support will no longer exist in macOS, probably in a version after High Sierra...32-bit apps...will not launch on a computer running macOS High Sierra."

I'm assuming that Leister is working on the changes being thrust upon us by Apple. Apple is apparently oblivious to the data losses individuals suffered in moving from Apple II to Mac and in moving from Mac OS9 to OS X. Changes in OS, in my experience, engender a huge investment in time for the user, especially of non-Apple software. I recall with horror the hours & days spent with MacLink Translators converting files to Mac.

And for those of us who deal with historic documents--mostly from the public sphere--it seems that automatic encryption defeats the purpose of assembling and organizing these records for posterity. Must we provide un-encryption keys to our descendants? What's to hide with public records? ...with history? Perhaps Leister can put in a word to Apple for an option to save unencrypted files.

Your thoughts? Reassurances from Leister welcome.

Lawrence

Re: High Sierra

Originally posted by Lawrence E Moore View Post
    And for those of us who deal with historic documents--mostly from the public sphere--it seems that automatic encryption defeats the purpose of assembling and organizing these records for posterity. Must we provide un-encryption keys to our descendants? What's to hide with public records? ...with history? Perhaps Leister can put in a word to Apple for an option to save unencrypted files.
    My understanding is that APFS gives you the choice of encrypted or unencrypted drives. That is, the encryption is "built in," but you don't have to use it. I hope that's the case.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Apple posted an article regarding conversion last week. Go to https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208018 for information. It does not answer the question about options for encryption. It does tell you that you will automatically be converted to APFS if you have flash storage. No choice in the matter for the user.

Apple has a "guide" article about APFS at https://developer.apple.com/library/.../Features.html. There is a paragraph about encryption near the beginning which speaks of a three way choice between none, single-key and multi-key. This, to me, implies there will be options but that is speculation on my part..
      Last edited by Bob White; 31 August 2017, 02:04 AM. Reason: Found info re: encryption
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence E Moore View Post
        32-bit apps...will not launch on a computer running macOS High Sierra."
        I want to point out that this is incorrect - 32-bit applications WILL launch on High Sierra, as Apple states here. It seems Macworld didn't quite get their facts straight.

As far as APFS, that shouldn't impact Reunion 11 -- Reunion 11 will still run. We currently have a testing machine with High Sierra using APFS and running Reunion 11 without issue.

I hope that helps clarify things,
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I am running High Sierra beta now on my 2015 MacBook Pro with 500GB SSD drive. Beta installation did not automatically covert to APFS. It is an option. I chose to convert without encryption. Conversion is a non-issue. You also have the encryption option on current Mac OS. It's called File Vault in Settings.

I am also running current version of Reunion. No problems whatsoever.

If you have an iPhone 7 or 7 plus with latest iOS version, then APFS is already the default file system for that device. That conversion happened as part of updating to latest iOS software and no one even noticed.
          Donald W. Moore
          Virginia Beach, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            I want to point out that this is incorrect - 32-bit applications WILL launch on High Sierra, as Apple states here. It seems Macworld didn't quite get their facts straight.

As far as APFS, that shouldn't impact Reunion 11 -- Reunion 11 will still run. We currently have a testing machine with High Sierra using APFS and running Reunion 11 without issue.

I hope that helps clarify things,
            This is excellent news. Thanks for keeping on top of this.

Bill

Comment

Also note, for anyone coming to this thread late, APFS idoes not support hard drives, including Apples Fusion drives, in the initial release of High Sierra. Apple has said that hard drive support is coming in a later release.

Comment

Originally posted by kruegdude View Post
                Also note, for anyone coming to this thread late, APFS idoes not support hard drives, including Apples Fusion drives, in the initial release of High Sierra. Apple has said that hard drive support is coming in a later release.
                So what does this mean exactly? Does this mean retrieving files from my external HD is no longer possible? Can I still use Time Machine to back up to an EHD?
                Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
                http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                  So what does this mean exactly? Does this mean retrieving files from my external HD is no longer possible? Can I still use Time Machine to back up to an EHD?
                  Yes, Apple says:

Important: You can back up from an HFS+ or APFS-formatted disk to an HFS+ disk; however, Time Machine can’t back up to an APFS-formatted disk. If you select a back up disk formatted as APFS, Time Machine offers to reformat it as HFS+.

see: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-...achine-mh15139
                  -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
                  MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
                  MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                    Does this mean retrieving files from my external HD is no longer possible?
                    No. High Sierra can still access non-APFS drives, including your external HD. It just means that hybrid drives can't be formatted APFS - such drives are still accessible.

Can I still use Time Machine to back up to an EHD?
                    As Paul noted above, you will still be able to backup to hybrid drives that are formatted HFS+. In fact, it appears Time Machine only supports HFS+, and doesn't yet support APFS.

HTH
                    Mark Harrison
                    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
                    X