This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Events in Family View question

Is it possible to add fields to the events shown in the Family View? Date and place are shown, but I would also like to be able to display the information in the Memo column.

I have searched the manual but don't see how to do that. Information in the memo column is as important (often) as the date and place.

Thanks. If I missed something simple, I apologize.

Warren

Re: Events in Family View question

It's simple but not completely obvious. Add another copy of the same field to the layout in family view preferences, but check the memo only checkbox for the second instance. That way, you'll have--for example--the birth event and the birth event memo displayed. The field needs to be clicked on and selected in the layout preferences for the check box to appear to the right.
    Last edited by ttl; 16 May 2012, 10:43 PM.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Tim,
      Thank you for this, and all the other posts you have made during this update. You are certainly an asset to the group.

I did as you suggested, but it really doesn't do what I want. Either the memo appears by itself above the notes, or by itself in place of the date and place.

What I am looking for in my particular 'census view' is for example:

Census 1920 Date Place Memo
      For example, my father's entry would be:
      Census 1920 July 2, 1920 Hotchkiss, Delta County, Colorado, USA In household: Sherman-34, Georgia-24, Delvin-11, Charles-5, Clinton-3 3/12, and Margaret-10/12

The checkbox "memo only" seems to be too limiting in the use of the Memo field.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll show you a couple of screen shots so you can see what I'm looking at. If this doesn't suggest a solution for you, I'll have to say uncle on this one.

The second birth event field is selected here in the family view preferences, with the Memo only box checked. I will point out here that after the second birth event field is added, it will need to be dragged up to be adjacent to the first event field.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ttl; 17 May 2012, 01:05 AM.
        Tim Lundin

Comment

Here's what it looks like in the family view. I'm having a hard time picturing your description, so maybe this will help you match up what I'm thinking with what you're seeing on your system.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ttl; 17 May 2012, 01:06 AM.
          Tim Lundin

Comment

This is a great tip, and something I hand't thought of doing.
            Keith Bage
            BAGE One-Name Study,
            www.bage.org.uk
            GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Dragging the memo up is a good idea, and as a fall-back that is what I will do. However, wouldn't it be better to add the memo to the same line? If the date and place are there, why not simply add an option to include the memo?

I would prefer that as an option when defining the view; for those who prefer it the way it is, two options could be presented: "include memo" and "memo only."

This is something I would add to a wish list.

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Warren White View Post
                I would prefer that as an option when defining the view; for those who prefer it the way it is, two options could be presented: "include memo" and "memo only."

This is something I would add to a wish list.

Warren
                I'd support that as an option, though I presume this has been left out because of the potential field length (2500). But i'd be happy for it to wrap.
                Last edited by Deb; 17 May 2012, 02:42 PM.
                Keith Bage
                BAGE One-Name Study,
                www.bage.org.uk
                GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Gregg or Frank

I am wondering, is this is an option you would consider in a subsequent update?

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                    It's simple but not completely obvious. Add another copy of the same field to the layout in family view preferences, but check the memo only checkbox for the second instance. That way, you'll have--for example--the birth event and the birth event memo displayed. The field needs to be clicked on and selected in the layout preferences for the check box to appear to the right.
                    Is there any way this can be done if using Smart Lists in Family View?
                    Sara Bradley Mason
                    kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

I do not believe there is a way to include memos adjacent to event data when using smart lists. The closest I think you can come is to have separate event and fact smart lists, and put the individual event fields with memo only selected under the group of events in the smart list. At least the facts can be gotten out of the way of the memos.
                      Tim Lundin

Comment

I do not believe there is a way to include memos adjacent to event data when using smart lists. The closest I think you can come is to have separate event and fact smart lists, and put the individual event fields with memo only selected under the group of events in the smart list. At least the facts can be gotten out of the way of the memos.
                        That's really thinking out of the box! Don't think it would work for me since there would be no way to correlate memos with events. For instance, just today I found that one of my relatives was counted twice in the 1920 census - on Jan 13 in Michigan and on Mar 2 in Missouri. So I listed both census locations and put the dates in the Memo field. I also have other census records for this person - so, can you see the problem? Frankly, this isn't a big worry for me since I didn't even know you could show memos until reading your earlier answer to Warren.
                        Sara Bradley Mason
                        kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

For those interested in Tim's excellent tip, Ben Sayer has produced a video over at Genealogytools.com http://genealogytools.com/displaying...-family-views/
                          Keith Bage
                          BAGE One-Name Study,
                          www.bage.org.uk
                          GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Add another copy of the same field to the layout in family view preferences, but check the memo only checkbox for the second instance. That way, you'll have--for example--the birth event and the birth event memo displayed. The field needs to be clicked on and selected in the layout preferences for the check box to appear to the right.
                            This is a great idea! Thanks so much for helping to make my Family View even more informative. The screen shots helped considerably.

Comment

Thank you Keith for calling our attention to Ben Sayer's posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X