Best way to track DNA connections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to track DNA connections?

With a large (85K) Reunion database, I like to see my DNA connections when I'm in the "People" sidebar.

At the moment I'm inserting "DNA" in the "Suffix Title" (which is a facility that I otherwise rarely use). And (at the moment) I can see myself inserting codes in that space to identify particular DNA strands.

Questions:

1. How are others tracking their DNA links?

2. Should I add this to the "Wish List"? How nice it would be to have another column (say, with RED ticks) beside the lovely green "ticks" that already identify my documented relatives.

Tks; Gordon
    SURNAMES - UK, AUS: Bourne Boyd Bull Corderoy Hicks Hyland Littley Mackie Stewart Stone Watson

Re: Best way to track DNA connections?

Can't help you much. I use GedMatch, and only record, in notes, other's kit numbers.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Watson View Post
      With a large (85K) Reunion database, I like to see my DNA connections when I'm in the "People" sidebar.

At the moment I'm inserting "DNA" in the "Suffix Title" (which is a facility that I otherwise rarely use). And (at the moment) I can see myself inserting codes in that space to identify particular DNA strands.

Questions:

1. How are others tracking their DNA links?

2. Should I add this to the "Wish List"? How nice it would be to have another column (say, with RED ticks) beside the lovely green "ticks" that already identify my documented relatives.

Tks; Gordon
      I have just added them under facts - not much detail, just that there is a link made.

Comment

My very visual way is to use custom images I developed for profile photos (for female and male). Profile images are no use in lists, but it is excellent for tree view. They are labelled "DNA Path" and I use the images for the actual match's picture, and everyone along the path back from the matches to the common ancestors. I have a different image for my "Direct Line Ancestors", but insert the DNA Path in the corner if proven by DNA matches - see attached.

By using these, the "proven" lines in the tree are easily identifiable (16,500 in my main tree). Most of the people in the tree back along these lines do not have photos anyway, so I sometimes have to decide whether I use a "real" photo of a person who is a DNA match or on the path. If they are not close, I usually use the DNA image.

That all said, I think every software company and online site (like Ancestry) must consider how DNA matches (and proven lines by DNA), can be indicated. So something on the Wish list - sure; but I suspect they may already be looking at options. Another option for the software people for the "path" would be a thicker &/or different coloured connector line between people in the tree.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John Meara; 08 May 2018, 07:20 PM.
        John in Brisbane, Australia
        Reunion 12 & FTM on iMac, with Reunion & Ancestry on iPad & iPhone
        Ancestry ID: johnmeara1
        GEDmatch: A369974 & Admin for T578930, T249754, A943304, A193103, T826422

Comment

Thanks, John Meara, this is helpful -- something to think about.

Comment

I like these, John Meara! Would you mind if I used them? Judy
            2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
              I like these, John Meara! Would you mind if I used them? Judy
              Feel free Judy.

I am happy for anyone to use them all. I've seen many versions on the web, but decided (as an old draftsman) to do my own.

I have attached the third pair of images in the set which I use for Direct Line Ancestors without DNA.
              Cheers
              Attached Files
              John in Brisbane, Australia
              Reunion 12 & FTM on iMac, with Reunion & Ancestry on iPad & iPhone
              Ancestry ID: johnmeara1
              GEDmatch: A369974 & Admin for T578930, T249754, A943304, A193103, T826422

Comment

Thank you, John Meara.
                2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Watson
                  Thanks James, and Reunion 12; well-done: my humble wish is surpassed!!

(i) I'm now using "Colour Tags" to identify -- in the RHS of the People-sidebar -- all my "FLAG = DNA" people!

(ii) As I finesse my DNA data (etc.), so I'll be able to finesse the identifiers in my People-sidebar (etc.), and so on.
                  From Wish List: http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=12217
                  SURNAMES - UK, AUS: Bourne Boyd Bull Corderoy Hicks Hyland Littley Mackie Stewart Stone Watson

Comment

Working...
                  X