Why Dropbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Dropbox?

Ive synced my reunion files across my iMac and iPad using Dropbox. It works fine but I'm approaching the free limit for Dropbox storage. The cost of more storage in Dropbox (in Australia at least) is very high, is much higher than the cost of storage in iCloud.

Why do we have to use Dropbox? Why can't we use iCloud?

Re: Why Dropbox?

I agree. I don't use ReunionTouch exactly because it requires the use of Dropbox. I'd probably use it if I could sync through iCloud. But my preference would be to sync over wifi at home.
    Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Warwick Dilley View Post
      ...I'm approaching the free limit for Dropbox storage.
      You may find this FAQ helpful -- it outlines how to change your thumbnail settings, which can often save quite a bit of space (especially if you have a lot of images).

Why do we have to use Dropbox? Why can't we use iCloud?
      When looking at ways of syncing automatically we found Dropbox to be the most reliable option available. iCloud was not nearly as reliable, and has continued to be problematic - even without supporting iCloud we've had to help users resolve issues created by iCloud, such as files being moved around without the user being given appropriate information about what is being done, where files are going to end up, etc. At this time we simply believe iCloud has too many issues that need to be resolved.

If Apple makes improvements to iCloud we're open to reconsidering our stance; but, at this time, from what we've seen of iCloud and the support issues it's created, we feel Dropbox is still the better option.
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks Mark. I really do appreciate the full and prompt responses to questions on this site.

Comment

Thanks Mark, but my problem is not with the size of my Reunion file itself but with the total size of the several thousand linked source documents which I have also sought to place in Dropbox so that I can access them on another Mac or MacBook while I am away from home.

If I was to put my Reunion file in Dropbox and the linked sources in iCloud (presuming that I could do that), would the sources in iCloud still be linked to the Reunion file in Dropbox when I accessed them from another Mac or MacBook?

Comment

Originally posted by Warwick Dilley View Post
            If I was to put my Reunion file in Dropbox and the linked sources in iCloud (presuming that I could do that), would the sources in iCloud still be linked to the Reunion file in Dropbox when I accessed them from another Mac or MacBook?
            That should, technically, work, but we can't recommend it as Apple may decide to change how files are stored in iCloud. That could cause problems with the links stored in Reunion.

It wouldn't be the first time -- changes to the iPhoto Library, and the switch to Photos, caused similar problems in the past.

So, while it technically should work, I'm afraid we can't officially support it. If you run into any issues we'll do what we can to help resolve them, of course, but we may not be able to.

Sorry I don't have better news,
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks again Mark for the prompt reply.

Comment

Warwick: You may want to also see this current thread for a bit more info: http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=12468.
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks Bob.

Comment

I was able to add several GB of free Dropbox space by following their list of freebies:

Want to know how to get more storage space on your Dropbox account? If you need more storage space, you can earn, purchase, or upgrade your account.

At that point, you will have as much space as the free iCloud (5GB), and either way will have to pay if that's not enough.

Having read the negative reviews about Touch switching to Dropbox, I will add a more general comment that I think it's an excellent solution because I have also found Dropbox to be much faster and reliable than iCloud, the latter of which can hang for days uploading large number of files, leaving you completely crippled, even when trying to access the files on the source machine. I don't think Apple understands sync still, but Dropbox has been rock solid.

I also find the concerns over Dropbox security to be non-issues.

Syncing via iTunes was used as a band-aid because it was the ONLY option apps had at the time. Those people stuck on that approach as being best can probably also find an old Model T since they may also insist on crank starting their engines by hand. But the advantages to Dropbox syncing are overwhelming.

I've been doing software development and Internet technologies for 40 years ;-)
                    Last edited by reggoboy; 11 January 2019, 06:27 PM.
                    Dave Kitabjian

Comment

Thanks David, much appreciated.

Comment

Glad to help.

Reunion and Dropbox are both excellent pieces of software that are cooperating rather well to accomplish this handoff between mobile and desktop. I’ve been using that setup for about a week now and it’s quite fast and seamless.
                        Dave Kitabjian

Comment

I also wish to add my vote for allowing iCloud instead of Dropbox. I see Technical Support said they have problems with iCloud however this might be the user and not iCloud. I pay for extra storage for work with thousands of files and while there are so many I might miss that some moved magically I have not found this happening. Rather than making the decision based on people who have problems and mostly likely created the problems rather than magic would not it be more logical to test the option. While I am not one to create more work for reunion however having so many apps and data that I need to pay monthly amounts here and there it all adds up to a lot of money. I already have all my family history files on the iCloud. It is this and not drop box that allows me to use my work and home computers. Again files have not gone missing or moved unless I did this. So paying for dropbox would be frustrating. I would even pay for an updated mobile app with icloud functionality - say $20 for the update. Just a thought.

Last edited by travelgenee; 27 January 2019, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by travelgenee View Post
                            ....... I already have all my family history files on the iCloud. It is this and not drop box that allows me to use my work and home computers. Again files have not gone missing or moved unless I did this. So paying for dropbox would be frustrating. I would even pay for an updated mobile app with icloud functionality - say .....
                            ????? In either case, iCloud or Dropbox, one can access from just about any device on the planet. Also, in either case, if one has lots of files, one is going to graduate into paying for having more storage than however much is free. So again, I say ??????

Also, I have been using iCloud ever since it was invented, circa maybe 2005, and Apple has made major changes to its operation and file formats probably four or five times. I have used Dropbox since 2011 and there have not been any file format changes. This is the consistency needed for our purposes.
                            Last edited by Bob White; 27 January 2019, 09:04 AM. Reason: Added comment re: cloud usage
                            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                            X