This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language characters

I've recently made a connection with relatives in Sweden. We are in the process of sharing our various data - and I want to be as accurate as I can when entering into my records. But, for the life of me I can't figure out how to use the various characters in some of the names. I have the language icon shown in the help function, and I see the Swedish keyboard in it, and I see the character I want, but how do I get it out of that and into the name I want? I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Thanks!
    Kellie

MacBook Pro (mid 2012), 2.7 GHz, 1TB SATA, 8GB
    Catalina v. 10.15.7

Re: Language characters

Originally posted by Kell75 View Post
    I've recently made a connection with relatives in Sweden...But, for the life of me I can't figure out how to use the various characters in some of the names.
    You can keep your normal keyboard. For Swedish you'll need å, ä, and ö.

You type an "å" by typing option-a.
    You type an "ä" by typing option-u, then a
    You type an "ö" by typing option-u, then o

(that is, to put an umlaut over a letter, type option-u then that letter)

If you don't want to bother learning those shortcuts, you can just type the base letter you want (either a or o), but hold the key down. A menu will appear showing the various kinds of a's or o's you might want, you just type the number corresponding to that choice.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Dennis, That is so cool! I have a friend who uses the ë on the end of her name. Now I can easily write it correctly! Thanks so much!
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
        I have a friend who uses the ë on the end of her name. Now I can easily write it correctly!
        You're welcome...

People love it when you respect their diacritics
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          You can keep your normal keyboard. For Swedish you'll need å, ä, and ö.

You type an "å" by typing option-a.
          You type an "ä" by typing option-u, then a
          You type an "ö" by typing option-u, then o

(that is, to put an umlaut over a letter, type option-u then that letter)

If you don't want to bother learning those shortcuts, you can just type the base letter you want (either a or o), but hold the key down. A menu will appear showing the various kinds of a's or o's you might want, you just type the number corresponding to that choice.
          Thanks, Dennis, I didn't know that worked on a Mac either! On an iPad, I'd found it, but on the computer it comes as news! Brilliant, thanks.
          Jamie.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
            Thanks, Dennis, I didn't know that worked on a Mac either! On an iPad, I'd found it, but on the computer it comes as news! Brilliant, thanks.
            Jamie.
            On a Mac, you can visualize the different characters you can get with different combinations by opening the Keyboard Viewer in the Menu Bar. I have joined screen captures of my own keyboard; the first one shows the keyboard with the normal characters; the second one shows the keyboard with the characters you get when clicking the Option key (this is from the French Canadian keyboard).

Réal.
            Attached Files
            Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
            http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
            Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
            MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
            Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

With recent versions of OS X (don't remember if it was introduced with 10.8 or 10.9, holding down a letter key that has options for diacritical markings for a few seconds will open a popup window from which you can select the one you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
                Thanks, Dennis, I didn't know that worked on a Mac either!
                I think it's new as of the Yosemite version, so it doesn't work on old versions of OS X.

But I'm happy that the feature made its way from iOS to OS X.
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

I think it's new as of the Yosemite version, so it doesn't work on old versions of OS X.

But I'm happy that the feature made its way from iOS to OS X.
                  Nope, it works on Mavericks, too! Just have to hold the key down for a moment.
                  Kaye Mushalik
                  -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                  -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                  -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

And Mountain Lion, if you mean having the select-by-the-number popup.
                    Tim Lundin
                    Heartland Family Graphics
                    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Been around for a while Dennis - also works in 10.8.x (Mountain Lion) and thus presumably in Mavericks as well.
                      Peter Cook
                      Rossmoyne, Western Australia
                      OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

Comment

Originally posted by rwalcik View Post
                        With recent versions of OS X (don't remember if it was introduced with 10.8 or 10.9, holding down a letter key that has options for diacritical markings for a few seconds will open a popup window from which you can select the one you want.
                        Wow. I have been a Mac user since 1985, and I'm a longtime heavy user of the Mac OS superior foreign language capability in Spanish, German, Chinese and Japanese in particular, but I didn't know that trick. Works like a charm in Reunion 10, in Microsoft Word documents, and in the Finder when renaming a folder or file, but seems not to be a universal shortcut applicable to all applications. For instance, it does not work in Adobe Bridge.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Cook View Post
                          Been around for a while Dennis - also works in 10.8.x (Mountain Lion) and thus presumably in Mavericks as well.
                          Cool. I guess I'm just a late discoverer
                          Dennis J. Cunniff
                          Click here to email me

Comment

You learn something every day! I've had various language keyboards set up in the top bar, switching between them as necessary to get my ß and é characters from the keyboard map! I wish I knew this years ago!

Comment

Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the answer! This is fantastic and I didn't have a clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X