This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer View of Family Page

I began Reunion with Reunion 9 (and therefore originally formatted my family view pages there). When Reunion 10 came out, I upgraded and converted my files — everything looked familiar.

Recently, in connection with Thomas MacEntee's online "Genealogy Do-Over" group, I started a new, blank family tree. I started with me, entering a minimum amount of data and sources, and looked at the family view page. When I compared my new page with the same page in the original database there are some startling differences. The family tree area is much wider, taking up too much screen space. I reshaped my page and was satisfied, but when I reopened my "Do-Over" tree, it had reverted to the too large version. Was there a time and place I should have saved the smaller workspace?

Also, the date below my Person Button area shows the data aligned flush right instead of flush left. If there are two pieces of information, neither shows completely; the fields overlap in this family view. When I narrowed my workspace these fields disappeared completely.

I can't find any other place in the manual to make this look like I want it to. What key words words do I need to use? (And why did this happen anyway? — IF the why is important to my using Reunion.)

Re: Computer View of Family Page

Bump

Did I not explain my problem correctly? My newly constructed tree is driving me wild, because the display is so large and the data disappears if I tighten it up. Since the older tree (also currently Reunion 10) is a comfortable size, I can't understand why I can't get the new one to look the same.

Comment

For the text display problem, go to Preferences > Family View > Miscellaneous. About midway down, there is a title "Justify text in buttons:" with a popup to choose Left or Right. Somehow you ended up with Right and now can easily fix that.

The Family View is a total redesign in version 10. It is a bit larger. It would help us to answer your question if you got a bit more specific about exactly what is bothering you.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Bob White, Thank you for the button information. Below the button there is an area where Reunion displays information you have filled in for the individual on that "card." I want this information to be flush left, but they are shown flush right. I cannot find any preferences that will adjust that display. Currently, some of this information overlays other information. The fields I'm referring to are "Birth", "Death," "Census", "Flags", plus two or three similar data fields.

My sizing problem can wait until I solve the problem with these entries. So far, when I resize my display, I lose all of these imperfectly displayed fields. Until I can solve the field display, I won't worry about the other problem.

Again, thank you for your help.

Comment

I thought that the Justify Text setting applied to all fields in the selected view. And I am unable to duplicate what you describe. Have you tried the Return to Defaults button in the previously described preferences panel?

This may need a look by Leister staff.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Sue McCormick View Post
            ...Below the button there is an area where Reunion displays information you have filled in for the individual on that "card." I want this information to be flush left, but they are shown flush right. I cannot find any preferences that will adjust that display. Currently, some of this information overlays other information. The fields I'm referring to are "Birth", "Death," "Census", "Flags", plus two or three similar data fields.
            If I'm picturing what you are describing correctly, it sounds like the divider line separating the field title from the text in the field is too far right. If that is correct, you can move it to the left by clicking and dragging on it directly on the family view. (I.e., your cursor will become a crosshair when it is okay to drag the divider line.)

If that does not solve the problem, one other suggestion would be to copy the family view from your older file into your newer file. To do that, follow these steps...

1. Open your older family file (the one that displays the way you like) and choose Reunion -> Preferences.

2. Then, click Family View.

3. On the left side of the Family View Preferences window, you will see a listing of family views. Drag the family view you like onto your desktop.

4. Then, close the Family View Preferences window and your older family file.

5. Next, open your newer family file (the one that does not display the way you like) and choose Reunion -> Preferences.

6. Then, click Family View.

7. Next, drag the family view from your desktop into the Family Views list on the left.

8. Finally, select that family view and close the Family View Preferences window.

I hope you find this information helpful:-)
            Deb Stuller
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
            X