Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Born, adopted then legal name change - what to do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born, adopted then legal name change - what to do?

Hi, I have one ancestor who was born, then 11 years after the birth was legally adopted by one person (mother natural mother, her husband adopted her) then when they became an adult they legally changed their name - what to do in reunion? I am particularly concerned with what to do regarding the adoption given that I know the details of the natural father (which do not appear on the birth certificate) and the adoptive father. Any help would be appreciated

Re: Born, adopted then legal name change - what to do?

That describes me other than I was just six years old when adopted. My mother was married three times; number one is my biological father and number two is my adoptive father. The third was well after I was of age.

I just enter the three spouses in the normal way. I show myself as the son of my biological parents -- marriage number one -- but show my adoptive last name.

There is an odd thing here with Reunion. Biological dad had two children with an earlier wife and Reunion correctly identifies them as half-brother and half-sister and their children as half nephews and nieces. However, adoptive dad has three children from an earlier marriage and Reunion doesn't give them any relative label. Seems to me they should also be labeled as half whatevers.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
      That describes me other than I was just six years old when adopted. My mother was married three times; number one is my biological father and number two is my adoptive father. The third was well after I was of age.

I just enter the three spouses in the normal way. I show myself as the son of my biological parents -- marriage number one -- but show my adoptive last name.

There is an odd thing here with Reunion. Biological dad had two children with an earlier wife and Reunion correctly identifies them as half-brother and half-sister and their children as half nephews and nieces. However, adoptive dad has three children from an earlier marriage and Reunion doesn't give them any relative label. Seems to me they should also be labeled as half whatevers.
      I don't think so. Half- relatives still have a blood relationship, just not on both sides of the family.

You have a blood relationship with your biological dad's earlier children, because you all have the same father. You have no blood relationship with your adoptive father, so his earlier children have no blood relationship to you, and are not half- relatives of yours.

Does this make sense? I have a number of half- relatives in my genealogical database because of a common blood relationship to one ancestor, not both, in the family.
      John Bastin
      jbastin1@me.com
      Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
      Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

John... biologically speaking, you are entirely correct and maybe even legally.

However, my adoptive father is the only father I ever knew and his kids from the earlier marriage are brothers and sisters as much as if they involved my mother.

Comment

Bob you said "I show myself as the son of my biological parents". If that's the case then Reunion doesn't know you have a relationship with your adoptive father's children. They are only going to be half-siblings if you tell Reunion that adoptive father is a parent.

Reunion allows a child to have more than one set of parents, and to set a "preferred" set of parents. Would that work for you?

Comment

Reunion displays my adoptive father as "stepfather" and the children from the previous marriage do not show any relationship. Unless there is a secret level in Reunion that I haven't discovered over the last 21 years, I am quite sure Reunion does not have the logic programmed into to it to have more than one father ---- which is essentially the situation in real life terms.

Yes, Reunion allows more than one set of parents BUT its relationships logic only allows one mother and one father to be labeled as such. The extra father or extra mother gets the "step" prefix.

Comment

Apologies, Bob you are correct.

Comment

Working...
              X