Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Source, Multiple Ancestors: How Best to Cite?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Source, Multiple Ancestors: How Best to Cite?

Am working on an 1870 U.S. Federal Non-Population Census (Agriculture) that has a number of my ancestors listed on the same page; not as families but as individual farmers each with their own farms.

Would like hear how others have worked their citations in instances such as this where there are multiple ancestors listed on the same page of the source document.

Am currently using a census type of source and am listing the various ancestors and the line numbers each of them appear on, in a field "Person of Interest".

It just didn't make sense to me to make a separate source for each of the different line entries on the same document.

Am curious to learn of different approaches to this situation.

Thanks

Re: One Source, Multiple Ancestors: How Best to Cite?

Ben Sayer made a video a couple years ago where he uses a single source for a 1900 US census page and records data like line numbers and other information in the source detail field for that event in Reunion.

http://genealogytools.com - Source entries in genealogy database software Reunion for Mac can be used for multiple events and have detail that is specific to...

Comment

Originally posted by David Adams View Post
      Am working on an 1870 U.S. Federal Non-Population Census (Agriculture) that has a number of my ancestors listed on the same page; not as families but as individual farmers each with their own farms.

Would like hear how others have worked their citations in instances such as this where there are multiple ancestors listed on the same page of the source document.

Am currently using a census type of source and am listing the various ancestors and the line numbers each of them appear on, in a field "Person of Interest".

It just didn't make sense to me to make a separate source for each of the different line entries on the same document.

Am curious to learn of different approaches to this situation.

Thanks

----------------
      I encountered this when I was first working out how to handle sources that would have multiple entries that needed to be accounted for (your census page is a good example). What stays the same across entries and what varies? I treat a census page as a stable source with a file# (a filled in source record for, say, 1930 US census record type) and then put different households in the detail field for each of the different families. For instance, I might have three brothers with farms listed right after one another on the same census page. The census page would have a number (e.g. TN-0243) and the same source would be repeated with different detail for each separate household. I would have one filed image (1930 US census TN -0243) and one printed copy for each family file, plus one for the ringbinder of Tennessee census records in file number order (yes -- I'm a triple-dumper).
      Kate McCain

Researching BARKER, FESSLER, KENEIPP, MCCAIN, MORRIS, MONTGOMERY, RAIFORD, WOOTTON, (and in Georgia-- WEBB, EVERETT, LUCKEY, LOWMAN)

Comment

I've been using a similar system: each census is a single source (eg 1861 England Census). Then each person is linked to that source via the citation line - works well except Reunion will not allow me to link media to the citation line. That is bad, and unless fixed in the next release will persuade me to give up Reunion and revert to Legacy (under Parallels).

Paul
        Paul Scott
        Crickhowell, Wales

Comment

Working...
        X