This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicating tentative event locations

I've been having trouble figuring out the best way to indicate that the location I entered for an event is tentative, i.e., "possibly" or "probably" correct. I have a lot of these, especially before the mid-19th century, where I figure that it's a good assumption that a couple got married in their home town, or that someone most likely died in the town where they had been living - but without documentation I don't want to say it's certain.

I've tried entering such locations as "prob Warren, Knox, Maine" (or "poss Warren, Knox, Maine"), and more recently separated by a comma, e.g., "probably, Warren, Knox, Maine" (or "possibly, Warren, Knox, Maine"). The latter has the advantage of putting the possibly/probably entries next to the unqualified one if I use the reversed place name sort, but either way I end up with a large number of semi-duplicated locations, and a lot of possiblys/probablys to look through when selecting a location from the list.

Now I'm considering putting the "possibly" or "probably" in the memo field, however, that will not show in the family view, where it's a quick check on whether I have "guesswork" to resolve for a family or individual.

How do other people hand this?

Kathy

Re: Indicating tentative event locations

You can modify your family view to include memos for event (just click the memo only checkbox). If you want the event data to show in this view, you'll have to add additional instances of the events with the memo only box unchecked.

Another approach would be to create flags, such as "Unverified Data". These can also be shown in the family view. To keep it simply you could use one flag, or you can refine things by having a flag for each event you're tracking.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by K McCracken View Post
      I've been having trouble figuring out the best way to indicate that the location I entered for an event is tentative, i.e., "possibly" or "probably" correct.
      I usually use the memo field for the event, to state the reason for the uncertainty or to name other possible locations. Then, all relevant sources, regardless of the location each implies, are linked to that event. To make this clear to anyone reading a published version of the data, the memo field must be included, but as you indicated, will not appear in the Family View.

I suppose you could also just enter a location name of
      Bruce Winton Christopher
      Environment: Reunion 14 build 240325; macOS 10.15.7
      bruce@bwchristopher.com

Comment

Why not just square brackets with a question mark [Perth, Western Australia?].

Comment

Working...
        X