This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion 10 and Family Tree Maker 3

Although I started working on my family tree ~5 years ago I have not proceeded very far, with fewer than 300 individuals in my tree to date. This winter I want to get back in the groove and make some progress with my tree.

I have dabbled in a number of different software including Reunion, FTM for PC and Mac and iFamily. They each have their strengths and weaknesses but none seem to be the "silver bullet".

I am going to use Reunion 10 as my base but there are some aspects of FTMFM3 that I also want to utilize, those being:
    - hints
    - searches
    - uploading of tree for other family members to review

Any suggestions on establishing some rigour to my work flow when using both Reunion and FTMFM3?

Thanks, Grant
    ``````````````````````````````
    Grant

Re: Reunion 10 and Family Tree Maker 3

Originally posted by gathompson56 View Post
    Any suggestions on establishing some rigour to my work flow when using both Reunion and FTMFM3?
    Honestly? Don't use both. Choose.

Comment

A large part of my research is done in my on-line Ancestry tree. I use Reunion as my main event. And that is unlikely to change.

With the advent of FTM3, I have it on my Mac and use it as the backup for the on-line tree because it synchs nicely and storage. It stores copies of all of the media one attaches on-line in FTM3 on the Mac --- which saves me from downloading copies and filing them.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Bob:

What is your work flow between Reunion and FTMFM3?

grant
        Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          A large part of my research is done in my on-line Ancestry tree. I use Reunion as my main event. And that is unlikely to change.

With the advent of FTM3, I have it on my Mac and use it as the backup for the on-line tree because it synchs nicely and storage. It stores copies of all of the media one attaches on-line in FTM3 on the Mac --- which saves me from downloading copies and filing them.
          I wanted to do the same as you but I have never been able to make FTMM3 work on my iMAC - despite 4 years trying with 3 different FTM versions and talking to some 30-40 techs. It will not register and so, I remain with REUNION 10 and plan to stay with it.

Comment

........What is your work flow between Reunion and FTMFM3?
            There really isn't one other than my ten fast fingers. I'm 71 years young and can type my age (or pretty close)!

I use a 27" monitor with Ancestry on-line (or other sites) side by side with Reunion. Most of the time I do not even have FTM3 running. I fire it up a few times monthly to sync with the on-line tree, thus creating a backup and adding to storage of documents.

SgtBob: Both FTM 2 and FTM 3 installed without a hitch, so I likely can't offer any advice that you haven't heard from all those helpful techies. I didn't start the above workflow until FTM 3 came out with it's greatly improved sync capabilities. (Bought FTM 2 for curiosity and never used it.)

Comment

There really isn't one other than my ten fast fingers. I'm 71 years young and can type my age (or pretty close)!

I use a 27" monitor with Ancestry on-line (or other sites) side by side with Reunion. Most of the time I do not even have FTM3 running. I fire it up a few times monthly to sync with the on-line tree, thus creating a backup and adding to storage of documents.
              Thanks Bob.
              BTW: does your typing speed = your golf score?
              Grant

Comment

Thanks Bob.
                BTW: does your typing speed = your golf score?
                I imagine not as I have never played golf......

Comment

SgtBob: Both FTM 2 and FTM 3 installed without a hitch, so I likely can't offer any advice that you haven't heard from all those helpful techies. I didn't start the above workflow until FTM 3 came out with it's greatly improved sync capabilities. (Bought FTM 2 for curiosity and never used it.)
                  Wow! I just installed Yosemite and upgraded the FTMM3 - it finally allowed me to REGISTER after almost 5 years of frustration. I'm beginning to think I may have had a glitch in the Mavericks and Mountian Lion systems that was corrected by my installation of Yosemite this morning. I plan to stay with REUNION since it would be a gargantuan task to get all the 2000 sources and 5000 photo media corrected on my 29,000 person file. At 82, I would never finish it!:-)
                  Last edited by sgtbob; 20 October 2014, 06:13 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Comment

Working...
                  X