X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a heads-up about iPhoto

Originally posted by Sully2004 View Post
    That is exactly what I was doing. The ones I put in iPhoto are "not" missing. Thanks
    I saw this in a message, and it reminded me that I should remind everyone who is depending on iPhoto for one thing or another in Reunion (including myself), Mac OS X version 10.8, Yosemite, will see the removal of iPhoto and Aperture from the system.

They will be replaced by something called "Photos," I'm not sure what all the differences will be, but it looks like it's going to rely much more on iCloud.

Just so you know.
    John Bastin
    jbastin1@me.com
    Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
    Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Re: Just a heads-up about iPhoto

I have 100s of multimedia links in Reunion that link to pictures in iPhoto. Is Leister Productions working with Apple to assure a smooth transition from iPhoto to Photos for Reunion users? I don't want to have to re-establish all those links. Apple's history of abandoning legacy users does not encourage me.--Lawrence E Moore

Comment

I don't trust anything that keeps all my photos (or songs) in one gigantic, vendor proprietary "library" file. There are ways to export your photos from iPhoto into individual files. Seems to me it's safer to link those files back to Reunion rather than rely on Apple's ephemeral file format.

That said, I have my more recent (last 10 years or so) photos in iPhoto and songs in iTunes because that's how you must sync with your iPhone/ipad/etc., but I also export them periodically into a multi-file folder system on my backup drive.

I'm probably going to start using Adobe Bridge in lieu of iPhoto in the future for the above reasons.

Don

Comment

Let me quote myself from a recent discussion:

"I put all multimedia items in one Reunion Pictures folder (with many subfolders) that resides in the Reunion Files folder. When I move over to my laptop and become a "road warrior," I copy the entire Reunion Files folder to the laptop and copy the entire thing back to my iMac when I'm back home. I have not had a single broken link in several years.

When adding a photo from iPhoto to Reunion, I drag the photo to the Desktop, rename it according to my file naming system and then drag it to my Reunion Pictures folder first then a second drag from there to the appropriate box in Multimedia view. Yes, it takes an extra few seconds at the start but it's worth it."

Bottom line is zero broken links and zero worry about whatever any software publisher does with their software. I have close to 15,000 photos in iPhoto, spread over several libraries, but not a single one is hooked to Reunion.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I'm with Bob entirely, except that my folder and sub-folders reside in something called Genealogy, rather than in Reunion Files, but that's only a detail. The other aspect of iPhoto that set me against it long ago (for genealogy purposes) is that it's not designed for old photos: it insists on precise dates, which of course are often just not known. I do use it for all photos taken now, and when one of these should also go with Reunion, I put a copy in the appropriate place, as per Bob above.
          Last edited by Michael Talibard; 23 July 2014, 02:36 AM.

Comment

And my file naming for both photos and other documents is consistent, so I find things quite quickly...

LastNameFirstName_Year_Description

or

LastNameFirstName_Year_Location

In the first case, it might be SmithMary_1928_JuniorProm (photo of Mary at a dance).
            In the second, it might be SmithMary_1930_OaklandCA (for a census sheet).

Comment

I concur with not keeping photos in iPhoto, but I also want to correct a misunderstanding seen here in this thread. When Yosemite is released, it will *not* see the removal of iPhoto or Aperture. Those two programs are indeed going to become obsolete, but there will be replacements. Last I saw, the new Photos application is supposed to come along probably later than Yosemite itself and it will provide a way of migrating the library contents from these predecessor programs.
              Montgomery, Alabama

Comment

The Photos app will be on both the Mac and iOS devices. The iOS version will be seen with the release of iOS 8. Most people are guessing that to be late September possibly early October. The Mac version will not come out with the release of Yosemite. Apple has stated "early next year" as the release timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence E Moore View Post
                  Is Leister Productions working with Apple to assure a smooth transition from iPhoto to Photos for Reunion users?
                  We don't really have the option to "work with Apple" on things like this, they make the changes and we just have to find a way to deal with them as best as possible.

That being said we will do some testing to see how the move from iPhoto to Photos affects multimedia links in Reunion 10.
                  Mark Harrison
                  Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

This is I guess more of a question for Bob White who replied earlier in this thread.
                    Hi Bob and a Happy New year to you. I've been using your suggested "method" of keeping photos in a sub folder in my Reunion files, so that these will be available as good links in Reunion, both on iMac and iPad for me, and be more future proofed when iPhoto changes etc.
                    One question: I have loads of photos of the same person and can't keep calling the photo, say, Smith, John, 1910 etc as the computer won't let me . I can just give the file name a "1, 2, 3 tag but was wondering whether you have a neater way of identifying each photo, please?
                    Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

I haven't met that problem in my Reunion photos simply because I don't store "loads" of photos of the same person taken in the same year. If I have multiple photos of one person in said location, it is usually like a young adult and an around retirement age photo, so they are in different years.

If I did the loads thing, I likely would go with _a, _b, etc.... I do the underscores because separation of the descriptive parts makes for faster reading/eyeballing.

Comment

Working...
                      X