This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

filtering index by surname while sorting by another field

Is there any way when viewing the People index sorted by some field other than the surname to have it show only people with a particular exact surname, rather than everyone whose surname starts with some string?

I usually prefer to display the index sorted by birth date rather than name, using the name only in the search field, because it groups families or potential families closer together, and because it makes it easier to see possible merger candidates who were entered under variant given names or easily confused individuals with the same name and similar birth dates. For surnames that match the initial portion of other common surnames, though, like Conn/Conner, or Hart/Harter/Hartman, or Spence/Spencer, this causes the list to include a bunch of people not of interest. (My database is quite large, nearly 60,000 people, so filtering by eye is less than optimal.) I tried typing a space after the surname, and it doesn't help; the other surnames with the same prefix still show up as well.

(I realize that there is the workaround of doing a Find People operation rather than using the regular index, but that is considerably less convenient than just typing into the search field of the index list.)

So I'm hoping that there is some character that is treated as an "end of name" indicator in the index search field, that I just haven't stumbled across yet.
    My Home Page: http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/
Working...
X