This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflicted file from Dropbox

I have been using Dropbox for some time with no problems. However, today was chaotic in my house and I accidentally had the some file open on two machines. While I was working on the second machine all kinds of weirdness happened -- lost people, lost fields, garbled data. You name it. I found the conflicted file in the package contents on both machines but could not open it. When I double clicked I got the screen which wants to convert to Reunion 10 format. I was able to recover the file using Time Machine but I want to know how to open the Dropbox conflicted file from the package contents.

Incidentally, I believe Reunion closed the open file on my iMac and I received a message when I tried to open it later. I got no message on the laptop where I was working.

Thanks for your help.

Marlene

Re: Conflicted file from Dropbox

Originally posted by marlenee View Post
    ...I want to know how to open the Dropbox conflicted file from the package contents.
    You can't open this file directly. You would need to create a new, empty Family File package using Reunion 10, view the package contents of that new file, delete the "Family File.familyfile" file from the package, then copy over the conflicted file and rename it to "Family File.familyfile" and finally open the family file package in Reunion 10.

Please note that viewing the contents of a Family File package was not something we intended users to do, so unless you know what you're doing and understand the concept of a package in OS X you should probably not mess around with the contents of a Family File package.

I hope that helps,
    Last edited by Mark; 09 June 2014, 01:00 PM.
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks, Mark.

I needed some way to recover if I'm ever caught in this situation again when I'm not at home and don't have an internet connection.

Normally, I have Time Machine and CrashPlan for recovery.

Marlene

Comment

It happened to me a lot of times.

Make sure that you always close the Reunion file to avoid conflict from other user of that Dropbox directory

To fix an existing Reunion package (or any similar files corrupted by Dropbox) and feel comfortable with viewing and editing its contents.

1. Right click on the file and go to Show Package Content.
        2. Just move the Conflicted / Duplicated component to the desktop.
        3. Close the package and open your file.

If it looks like the last good version, trash the component on your desktop.

If you moved the wrong component, go to 1) above move it back in the package and take out the other. Then go to 3 above.

Alain
        Alain Farhi
        http://www.farhi.org

Comment

Working...
        X