This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find and Replace

Is there a way to do a global find and replace for an event name, say from Census to Residence?

Re: Find and Replace

Originally posted by navygrog View Post
    Is there a way to do a global find and replace for an event name, say from Census to Residence?
    If what you want to do is rename your Census event "Residence", search the manual for "Editing Attributes of Fields". It's not a find and replace, but it renames the event.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

I have some extraneous numbers in the detail field of a large number of my sources. Is there any method to do a 'find and replace' aside from doing them one at a time?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
        If what you want to do is rename your Census event "Residence", search the manual for "Editing Attributes of Fields". It's not a find and replace, but it renames the event.
        Thanks Dennis, appreciate your help.

Comment

So, aside from 'renaming' the event, there is no way to correct an erroneous 'detail' entry?

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
            So, aside from 'renaming' the event, there is no way to correct an erroneous 'detail' entry?
            I do not think you can search for text within a detail field. You can of course correct it by hand if you know about it.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

I do not think you can search for text within a detail field. You can of course correct it by hand if you know about it.
              Agreed - however, I was looking for a method of universally changing/deleting some detail data that is incorrect. To check each item in a 28,000 person file with each having multiple events, and lots of them with erroneous detail data, appears to be a monumental task. I remove the erroneous data when encountered, but, unfortunately, there will remain those I cannot remove via a simple detail 'find and replace' correction.
              Last edited by sgtbob; 28 May 2014, 06:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
                Agreed - however, I was looking for a method of universally changing/deleting some detail data that is incorrect. To check each item in a 28,000 person file with each having multiple events, and lots of them with erroneous detail data, appears to be a monumental task. I remove the erroneous data when encountered, but, unfortunately, there will remain those I cannot remove via a simple detail 'find and replace' correction.
                If I had to do this, I'd export a GEDCOM, do a find and replace in a GREP-capable word processor, save it and re-import it into Reunion. But not everyone would be comfortable with that exercise
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

[QUOTE=Dennis J. Cunniff;41279]If I had to do this, I'd export a GEDCOM, do a find and replace in a GREP-capable word processor, save it and re-import it into Reunion. But not everyone would be comfortable with that exercise

Comment

Working...
                  X