This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shrinking Chart

I have made a Descendants Charts and have it laid out horizontally. I don't like the vertical format. When I save the chart it comes up in very small print. It is unreadable. I then take the chart and put it into my website and once there if you click on it, it opens up to a readable size. It is not fuzzy as text might be sometimes, but is clear and as I said readable. If I change the size (zoom in) before I put it on the website, it then becomes very fuzzy.
    The file is saved as a .jpeg. If not it won't attach in my website. That .boxchart10 format is useless.

Is there any way I can increase the size of the chart so that when it is saved, it remains the size I want? BTW, I'd like it large than the size it comes up as after saving and clicking on my website.
    See: www.druggefamily.net, family genealogy, axel & gladys, again. (Read Me First)

I'll attach some screen shots.

Phil
    Attached Files

Re: The Shrinking Chart

Hi Phil,

What you're seeing is Preview auto-scaling to fit the entire chart on your screen, there's nothing wrong with the saved chart. If you select:

View -> Actual Size

From within Preview, you should see that it's the same size as the original chart. However, there will be some loss of quality, for reasons I'll explain below.

If I change the size (zoom in) before I put it on the website, it then becomes very fuzzy.
    There are two causes of the fuzziness:

1 - Image formats like JPEG will lose some quality from the original chart, because of how those formats compress the data. This will cause some "fuzziness" even when viewing the image at "Actual Size" as suggested above.

2 - If you zoom in further than "Actual Size", it's like stretching a piece of fabric that has a painting on it - it's going to blur the image, losing even more quality.

PNG is a better format that won't lose as much quality due to #1, however, it will still lose quality due to #2. The best option, to maintain the quality of the original chart, is to save it as a PDF. PDFs don't suffer from either of the above issues. Most modern web browsers are capable of displaying PDFs, though it may require installing a PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader or Foxit.

HTH
    Last edited by Mark; 07 May 2014, 04:17 PM.
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
    X