This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt Census Form

1851 Census forms of Salford, Manchester are in a bad condition; fire damage. Sod's Law has placed my ancestors information right in the middle of the singed area .....

The writing is just about readable if ..... someone can suggest a method of highlighting the text on the form.

I have had to reduce the size of the image so that you can see the damage .... I can send anyone the uploaded image at its original resolution.
    Attached Files

Re: Burnt Census Form

Originally posted by Bill H View Post
    The writing is just about readable if ..... someone can suggest a method of highlighting the text on the form.
    I think desaturate, smart sharpen, and playing with the image levels in Photoshop arguably make this more readable, though starting at such a low resolution (and going thru jpg degradation instead of using lossless .tif format) leaves me uncertain how useful this would ultimately be
    Attached Files
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Bill H View Post
      1851 Census forms of Salford, Manchester are in a bad condition; fire damage. Sod's Law has placed my ancestors information right in the middle of the singed area .....

The writing is just about readable if ..... someone can suggest a method of highlighting the text on the form..
      Have you tried making a "negative" copy? Think you can do this in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. So, instead of a "black on white" copy, you would have a "white on black". That might be easier to work with.
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Played with this for a while in Pixelmator. Now looks a bit more legible (to me).
        I could adjust it differently if I knew whether you folk were in House 3 or 4.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Michael Talibard; 24 April 2014, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
          Played with this for a while in Pixelmator. Now looks a bit more legible (to me).
          I could adjust it differently if I knew whether you folk were in House 3 or 4.
          unfortunately, in the top house, schedule #93 ..... Michael, could I please send you a copy of the original image that I had uploaded from Ancestry .... it would be at a higher resolution?

Bill

Comment

I have the original from Ancestry, and will give it another try.

Comment

I read this as follows:

Schedule 94: at House 3, Guardian Street: Head of household Joseph Darlington, widower, aged 53, occupation whitesmith journeyman; with son Joseph Darlington, unmarried, aged 22?, occupation whitesmith do. (i.e. also journeyman) and daughters Jane Darlington, unmarried, aged 21, occupation ? (crossed out) and Rebecca Darlington, unmarried, aged 11, school (goes to); all born Liverpool, Lancashire.

Hope this helps.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Michael Talibard; 26 April 2014, 04:04 AM.

Comment

thank you very much Michael; I do not have the picture software to do what you have done .... your time and effort are appreciated.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                X