This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I link parents?

I have a family I want to add parents to. I already have the father and mother in the file, but I am unable to figure out how to add them, The help file is not help. I tried clicking on "add father from sidebar, but nothing happens If I click on the individual it creates a card, but it's not linked to anything. I'm about ready to go back to Heredis.

Re: How do I link parents?

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to link a child and his/her parents, all of which are already in the Family File. There are two ways to do that:

1 - Click-drag one of the parents entries from the People sidebar to the empty parent buttons in the Family View (the ones above the child of the parents).

2 - Switch to the parents in the Family View, then click-drag the child's entry from the People sidebar to the Children section of the Family View.

HTH
    Last edited by Gregg; 14 April 2014, 01:21 PM.
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Hi,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to link a child and his/her parents, all of which are already in the Family File. There are two ways to do that:

1 - Click-drag one of the parents entries from the People sidebar to the empty parent buttons in the Family View (the ones above the child of the parents).

2 - Switch to the parents in the Family View, then click-drag the child's entry from the People sidebar to the Children section of the Family View.

HTH
      I have tried #1 I don't know how many times and it asks if I want to add a spouse to the family card. I'm adding father not spouse.

I tried #2 and It says the child already has an unknown parent. Unfortunately I apparently have have a bunch of unkowns in my file.
      Last edited by jcherepy; 14 April 2014, 01:31 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by jcherepy View Post
        I tried #2 and It says the child already has an unknown parent.
        You should be able to add him/her anyways by selecting "Move" in the window that informs you the child already has an unknown parent.

Originally posted by jcherepy View Post
        I have tried #1 I don't know how many times and it asks if I want to add a spouse to the family card. I'm adding father not spouse.
        This is probably because the person you're trying to add the parent to already has a parent (the unknown parent) linked to him/her.

Unfortunately I apparently have have a bunch of unkowns in my file.
        You can delete these entries, if they aren't needed, by marking them (and just them, no other entries) in the People sidebar, then selecting:

File -> Delete -> Marked People...

Note that you should make a backup of your Family File before deleting any entries, via:

File -> Save a Backup Copy...

HTH
        Last edited by Mark; 14 April 2014, 01:44 PM.
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
        X