This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Descendant Chart bug?

I recently returned to my research (and this list) after several months absence. Updated to Reunion 10 and am now in process of relearning it. I just came across what appears to be a couple of bugs with the descendant chart. I don
    Regards,
    Frank
    fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Re: Descendant Chart bug?

I see a lot of charts, but can't recall this issue coming up before in my little part of the world. Does this problem occur when you look at the family in Tree View? If you haven't already, I'd also take some time and step through the marriage and child links in the associated family cards... I've seen some really funky linkages creep in by accident from time to time.
    Last edited by ttl; 07 March 2014, 10:32 AM.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Mitchell View Post
      If one of the (male) descendants was married twice, the chart shows him twice. One entry, with wife #2, is shown as the son of the other entry, with wife #1.

One descendant chart I created included two husbands who were married twice. Both were shown twice in the chart.
      I wonder if this is a chart with the waterfall orientation. If you're not familiar with its conventions, it's easy to confuse the line connecting multiple spouses (usually green) with a descendant line (usually blue).

The attached pdf shows both, the way they are supposed to appear.
      Attached Files
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Tim and Dennis,

Thanks for the replies but, as usuaI, I managed to leave out a necessary piece of information.

I created the chart to see a
        Regards,
        Frank
        fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

I guess my question would be whether the problem exists with an unpruned descendant chart? And if you cleared bolding as step one of the bolding process?

If no and yes, then sounds like a bug.
          Tim Lundin

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
            I guess my question would be whether the problem exists with an unpruned descendant chart?
            No, if the chart is not restricted to bold children, showing both of his wives (along with their descendants) would have been correct. An unrestricted chart does not show him as his own son either.

And if you cleared bolding as step one of the bolding process?

If no and yes, then sounds like a bug.
            Yes, I cleared all bold children before rebolding the direct line.
            Regards,
            Frank
            fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

I know this isn't helpful to you, but I created a pruned descendant chart to approximate what you've described, and things behaved correctly here. If you'd like to send a subset of your family file to me I'd be happy to see if it has the same problem here. Otherwise, it might be time to report it directly to the help desk if you feel like pursuing it.
              Last edited by ttl; 07 March 2014, 11:32 PM.
              Tim Lundin

Comment

Oh, and this direct line chart I made did show the multiple marriages but descendants only for the direct line.
                Tim Lundin

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Mitchell View Post
                  I recently returned to my research (and this list) after several months absence. Updated to Reunion 10 and am now in process of relearning it. I just came across what appears to be a couple of bugs with the descendant chart. I don’t know whether they are already known.
                  I also have a bug in a descendant chart. My great great grandmother had a daughter Pearl Saling. In the descendant chart for that line I find a box for "Pearl Saling & Infant Winn" with birth and death info for the infant. He's from a completely different family line. He shows up just as he should on his family line's descendant chart. When I go to family view for my great great grandmother's family and look at her children, Pearl is listed but if I click on Pearl I get Infant Winn's entry in his family. Likewise, when I click on Pearl in the "people" list I am taken to Infant Winn and his parents. I cannot figure out how to untangle them.
                  Do I just delete her and then enter her again? Reunion Help seems to frown on deleting people.
                  Thank you! Terri Works
                  Last edited by Deb; 08 March 2014, 08:10 PM.
                  Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
                  Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Comment

Originally posted by Terri Works View Post
                    ...My great great grandmother had a daughter Pearl Saling. In the descendant chart for that line I find a box for "Pearl Saling & Infant Winn" with birth and death info for the infant. He's from a completely different family line. He shows up just as he should on his family line's descendant chart. When I go to family view for my great great grandmother's family and look at her children, Pearl is listed but if I click on Pearl I get Infant Winn's entry in his family. Likewise, when I click on Pearl in the "people" list I am taken to Infant Winn and his parents. I cannot figure out how to untangle them....
                    This is the kind of stuff I see more of. We might be able to go through a procedure using the clipboard, but the first thing I would do is go to Infant Winn and edit his spouses. I think you'll find a marriage to Pearl and you can just delete the marriage. You could edit Pearl's spouses too, but it sounds like it's easier to get to Infant. If that doesn't work, then it's time for more drastic measures.
                    Last edited by Frank; 09 March 2014, 12:16 PM.
                    Tim Lundin

Comment

...this direct line chart I made did show the multiple marriages but descendants only for the direct line.
                      Yes, that is exactly what I get.

Only bold ancestors of my cousin are shown, but Reunion must see the same ("bolded") husband with two wives as two separate descendants. Curiously the chart then shows him as his own son !!

Do I need to send it to the help desk too? I thought the Leister team read these posts as well.
                      Last edited by Frank; 09 March 2014, 12:16 PM.
                      Regards,
                      Frank
                      fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

This is the kind of stuff I see more of. We might be able to go through a procedure using the clipboard, but the first thing I would do is go to Infant Winn and edit his spouses. I think you'll find a marriage to Pearl and you can just delete the marriage. You could edit Pearl's spouses too, but it sounds like it's easier to get to Infant. If that doesn't work, then it's time for more drastic measures.
                        Unfortunately there was no marriage to Infant Winn and Pearl also has no spouses. Click on Pearl, get Infant Winn. BUT -
                        in the meantime I had a tragedy, had to wipe my computer clean and reinstall Mac OS, so I printed out a full report with notes and sources and have decided to just start all over again and reenter everybody. I only have 132 people (but in a lot of detail!). This way I can re-do all my sources using Evidence Explained, and read all the help first and do it right. Seems like a great opportunity. Thanks for your willingness to help.
                        Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
                        Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Comment

Working...
                        X