This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

syncing information between computers

Is there any simple way to sync family information between computers?

I have Reunion 10.0.1 on my iMac and I have it on my Macbook Air. I update family information on the computer I'm closest to.

However, the information doesn't automatically sync. So, how can I do it?

Is there a way to sync via Dropbox, the way that the application 1Passoword account does, seamlessly and regularly?

If not, there should be a way and it should include syncing between mobile devices as well as computers.

Re: syncing information between computers

Dropbox works fabulously for syncing between computers. I have used it for some years now without a problem. However, you need iron discipline to make it work seamlessly:

Never have your family file open on more than one computer at a time.
    Always wait for Dropbox to finish uploading before logging off.
    Always wait for Dropbox to download before working on a family file.

If you stick to these rules I think you'll find this to be an ideal way of always having your data up-to-date on all computers. I have three of them, in three different locations, and it just wouldn't be possible without Dropbox.
    Nick Michael
    LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
    GOONS Member 3814
    http://laidman.one-name.net

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      However, you need iron discipline to make it work seamlessly:
      "Iron discipline" is correct. And I have one other tip:

I have corrupted my file twice now (fixed quickly by Leister, thank goodness) NOT because I didn't follow these rules; but because I was inadvertently bypassing the warning box you get on the second machine (telling you that the file is open on your first machine) by double-clicking to open Reunion from the Dock.

I am a convert from the PC world, and after a couple decades of double-ciicking to open an application, it is a hard habit to break. But, it turns out that double-clicking to open Reunion from the Dock will attempt to open it twice. This essentially by-passes the warning box and actually opens the file on the second machine while it is still open on the first machine. You will get a corrupted file (which in my case looked like entire branches of people missing and replaced by yellow boxes. Very scary.)

If this happens to you, Leister can fix the file (at least they have for me, twice, with no lasting damage) but it's terribly inconvenient and nerve-wracking.

Despite this, I still have my file in Dropbox and am applying "extra iron," as the convenience of using either machine is very nice.

Comment

I would also agree with the iron discipline statement. It is ESSENTIAL to watch the dropbox icon in the menu bar after you close Reunion, to ensure the green tick appears. And if you happen to have lost connection with the internet, be ware that Dropbox will catch up when you reconnect, so don't use Reunion on your other mac until your connection is restored, and dropbox has updated.

To avoid relying on Leister to restore a corrupted file I cannot recommend enough that you do a backup of your family file very frequently, and especially after any time consuming data entry. (File>Save A Backup Copy). I always add the date to my backup filename so that I can keep several versions and know which is the latest.

Comment

The old fashioned tennis show net works fine for me. When I switch from using the iMac to the MacBook, I quit Reunion then copy the entire Reunion Files folder onto a USB stick. I then take the stick and go to the other Mac and copy the entire folder in.

Nothing is left to chance with this method and one automatically has an up-to-date backup copy of "everything" on that stick. Of course, Time Machine constantly backs it up and, several times per year, I burn a copy of Reunion Files onto to a CD which goes to a friend's house.

Please note that by "everything," I really do mean everything. All media and photos are stored within the Reunion Files folder. I do not connect with iPhoto or other media retainers. A major advantage of this is that I almost never lose connections with any photos or media -- because the path to the files never changes from one computer to the other.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
            I would also agree with the iron discipline statement. ... I always add the date to my backup filename so that I can keep several versions and know which is the latest.
            FWIW, I, too, put the date in filenames when it is important such as in backups. So 20140225 indicates February 25, 2014 and if placed at the beginning of the filename results in all the backup files being sorted properly according to date. The '20' can be omitted if all backups are from the current century.
            John McGee Leggett, Jr.
            Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
            Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              tennis show net
              Sometimes referred to as SneakerNet ;-)
              Last edited by Deb; 26 February 2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by furbies View Post
                tennis show net
                Sometimes referred to as SneakerNet ;-)
                What are you "talking" about? You don't make sense!
                Last edited by Deb; 26 February 2014, 12:57 PM.
                Kaye Mushalik
                -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                  It's about "walking" a file from one computer to another via floppy disc, memory stick etc., therefore, "SneakerNet."
                  Kevan Yuck, RU~13.0 (Build: 210616) 64-bit, macOS 11.4
                  Search - Hebner, Hein(s), Keuhl, Wilke, Juch, Yuch, Yuck, Yuke

Comment

Originally posted by kyuck View Post
                    It's about "walking" a file from one computer to another via floppy disc, memory stick etc., therefore, "SneakerNet."
                    Thanks so much, Keven! Learn something new everyday! Keeps this senior brain working!

Kaye
                    Kaye Mushalik
                    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                      Typo.... tennis shoe. My finger hit the next door neighbor -- the lonely w. At that moment in time, the term "sneaker net" was not coming up in my tired old cranium.
                      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Many thanks to ALL of you who weighed in.

Ultimately, given the fact that there is no provision for "seamlessly syncing" my Reunion files between 2 computers, iPad and iPhone via Dropbox (the way 1Password works), I am going to simply not try.

Instead, I'll probably go with "sneaker net" for the 2 computers (i.e. copying the file to a thumb drive and walking it to the other computer. The mobile devices are a separate and simple issue.)

It'd be great if Reunion could develop a Dropbox or Cloud based syncing ability but I'll settle for this simple solution for now.

Again, thanks!

Comment

The old fashioned tennis show net
                          Perhaps if Bob had said tennis SHOE net we might have understood LOL

Comment

Oops - sorry Bob - didn't notice your correction ha ha

Comment

Working...
                            X