This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating GEDCOM for portion of file

I've been trying to create an updated GEDCOM of my father's line for my FTDNA account. I've done it in the past, but for the last two days I've been trying to limit the data to just his line and it isn't working. I've marked all his relatives, marked the GEDCOM as use only marked people, but when I look at the contents of the GEDCOM file, I'm finding all my maternal line there as well. I can generate a tree view of only his line, can create his relative list, but when I use that same data I'm getting all. I've reviewed the manual, tried creating a new family file with his line, but instead of a partial file, I ended up with all the other lines in there as well.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but can't pinpoint the problem. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Lynda

Re: Creating GEDCOM for portion of file

Originally posted by LyndaCook View Post
    I've been trying to create an updated GEDCOM of my father's line for my FTDNA account. I've done it in the past, but for the last two days I've been trying to limit the data to just his line and it isn't working.

Lynda
    Here's what I would do: Select "Mark" from the left sidebar and then select "Unmark" for the Action and "Everyone in this family file" for the Who. You should then have no one in your family file marked. Now, select "Family View" from the left sidebar, navigate to the person you want to be the beginning person in your GEDCOM, and then go back to "Mark". Select "Mark" as the Action and "Ancestors" as the Who and click on "Mark". Now, go back to "Family View" and see if everyone you wanted to include is there. If not, modify the people in the file by clicking the green check mark by the person you want to exclude or include. I've had difficulties like this before and have had to do what I've described. I don't know the reason - I only know that this is a work-around. HTH.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff89 View Post
      Here's what I would do: Select "Mark" from the left sidebar and then select "Unmark" for the Action and "Everyone in this family file" for the Who. You should then have no one in your family file marked. Now, select "Family View" from the left sidebar, navigate to the person you want to be the beginning person in your GEDCOM, and then go back to "Mark". Select "Mark" as the Action and "Ancestors" as the Who and click on "Mark". Now, go back to "Family View" and see if everyone you wanted to include is there. If not, modify the people in the file by clicking the green check mark by the person you want to exclude or include. I've had difficulties like this before and have had to do what I've described. I don't know the reason - I only know that this is a work-around. HTH.

Jeff
      I did as you suggested, but when I pulled a relative list, I had my maternal grandparents in the list. Even stranger is that a great aunt Williams who married a great uncle Thomas both showed up as my grandparents instead of as great aunt and great uncle. If I check the family view, both are shown properly as brother/sister of my grandparents, with only one son. My grandparents also show up as my grandparents. This is the last family I was working on before I tried to create the GEDCOM, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Comment

I'm not sure what happened, but today when I pulled the GEDCOM it only contained the family of interest.

Comment

Working...
        X