This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Biological grandfather's family

My grandniece has asked for a family tree. Her father was born to my sister & her first husband but he was adopted by my sister's second husband. I show him as the biological child of the first husband and the adopted child of the second husband. How can I print a pedigree (or other chart) for the niece, showing her father's biological tree? Do I need to cut & past or add her to her father's biological chart? If I do a chart for her, it show her father's adoptive father as her grandfather. I did try some marking but apparently I don't know how to mark them as it didn't work.
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Re: HELP! Biological grandfather's family

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
    My grandniece has asked for a family tree. Her father was born to my sister & her first husband but he was adopted by my sister's second husband. I show him as the biological child of the first husband and the adopted child of the second husband. How can I print a pedigree (or other chart) for the niece, showing her father's biological tree?
    When someone has more than one set of parents (for example, adoptive and biological), a Reunion chart will follow whichever set of parents you've marked as "preferred".

So to print a chart of her biological family, set her preferred parents to the wife and the 1st husband, and create the chart.

To print a chart of her adoptive family, set her preferred parents to the wife and 2nd husband, and create the chart.

(If you don't know how to change the preferred parents, you can search for "preferred parents" in the manual, or ask here.)
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      When someone has more than one set of parents (for example, adoptive and biological), a Reunion chart will follow whichever set of parents you've marked as "preferred".

So to print a chart of her biological family, set her preferred parents to the wife and the 1st husband, and create the chart....<snip>
      Thanks so much, Dennis! Actually, had to go into her father's info and set preferred parents.

For others who may need this info, you have to click on the "down pointing triangle" in, or right click on, the person's box that has more than one set of parents, go to PARENTS and THEN go all the way down, click on EDIT PARENTS and choose the set of parents that you want to be the preferred parents. Otherwise, it doesn't "stick".

Now I can help my grandniece with her "blood" line!
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
        ........ click on the "down pointing triangle" in, or right click on, the person's box that has more than one set of parents, go to PARENTS and THEN go all the way down, click on EDIT PARENTS and choose the set of parents that you want to be the preferred parents...........
        ????? When I pop up said menu and choose Parents, all it shows is the names of the person's parents. No other choices and no Edit Parents. Or do both sets of parents have to be totally different to make this choice appear? (e.g. bio parents John and Sue; adoptive parents Molly and Mike.... as opposed to John and Sue then Mike and Sue.)
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          ????? When I pop up said menu and choose Parents, all it shows is the names of the person's parents. No other choices and no Edit Parents. Or do both sets of parents have to be totally different to make this choice appear? (e.g. bio parents John and Sue; adoptive parents Molly and Mike.... as opposed to John and Sue then Mike and Sue.)
          Hmm. Don't know why it won't work for you. My sister is the female parent in both cases - 2 different husbands.

How did you add the child to the couple with the adoptive parent? Did you type the name in separately or did you drag the name in from the "People" list? I'm pretty sure I dragged the name in from the "People" list. Check out Adopted children in the manual.

Another thing I do when I have adopted, step- or duplicated children added to another family, is add Biological to the Child Status under the biological parents. I've added the word Biological as a New Status in Preferences>Child Status>New Status. Then, I designate the child's status as Biological under the biological parents and whatever his/her status is under the family where he/she is duplicated.

Hope this helps.
          Kaye Mushalik

Comment

When I pop up said menu and choose Parents, all it shows is the names of the person's parents. No other choices and no Edit Parents.
            That's the expected behavior for a person with only one set of parents. Are you sure the person in question has two or more sets?

Or do both sets of parents have to be totally different to make this choice appear? (e.g. bio parents John and Sue; adoptive parents Molly and Mike.... as opposed to John and Sue then Mike and Sue.)
            As long as there is more than one family card, it has always worked for me in either circumstance.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Kay: I entered this data way back when Reunion was still a Hypercard stack, so it would be typed in obviously. How it converted throughout all the versions since is an unknown factor that the Leister staff would only know.

Dennis: I was actually using myself as the guinea pig. My mother was married three times. Marriage 1 is my biological father. Marriage 2 is my adoptive father. Marriage 3 is a step-father. And there are three family cards.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
              X