This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Design

I am avid Reunion user. I would like to create a website with all my genealogy information. Something that would be great looking and easy to import and export information on a daily basis via a GEDCOM.
    Does anyone know of someone who designs genealogy webpages? I want to hire someone who knows reunion and knows website design.
    Thanks,
    Gwyn

Re: Web Design

Take a look at TNG - http://tngsitebuilding.com/ - a lot of Reunion users are using this to display their Reunion data online, and just today Darrin announced on facebook he's sold 15,000 licenses for TNG - a lot of people using all sorts of software for their genealogy are using TNG.

My site, showing my great great grandfather is here - mine is incorporated with WordPress -

Data is moved from Reunion to TNG by GEDCOM file - export from Reunion, import in to TNG.

Cheers

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Hi Roger,

I am also an avid TNG user...williams-greenleaf-genealogy.com (guess you can tell it is template 10). I have brought a GEDCOM to Reunion on my laptop. I am just very nervous to send it back to my TNG site because of the added fields. I know...I can back-up my tables.

Do you think I should live dangerously and just back-up my tables 20 times (kidding) and send my Reunion GEDCOM to my website?? Right now I am maintaining both (a little overkill). I just want to enter into Reunion and send it TNG.

BTW, you are the greatest. I have read so many of your posts on both forums. Thank you so much for all the help and info you have given me. You should be proud.

Gwyn

Comment

Give me a couple wines and I will live dangerously. I did import my gedcom to TNG and am checking it out. So far no problems. Tonight I am doing more research....so will work with Reunion only and then try an import.

Comment

Originally posted by gwynspekes View Post
          Give me a couple wines and I will live dangerously. I did import my gedcom to TNG and am checking it out. So far no problems. Tonight I am doing more research....so will work with Reunion only and then try an import.
          Yes, you have to decide where to do your data entry, and then stick with that - entering data in both places and trying to then merge them is very problematic and nerve wracking.

Many TNG users work only in a desktop programme and then transfer their work by GEDCOM file - I am one of those. The only time I do any data entry in TNG is if it's something very quick and easy to do in TNG (like enter someone's death date so they're no longer living) and I also do it in Reunion.

And thanks for the kind words :-)

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
            Take a look at TNG - http://tngsitebuilding.com/ - a lot of Reunion users are using this to display their Reunion data online
            Roger, thanks for tip...I just looked and like all of the data that can be shared.
            Researching: Wrightson, Birmingham, MacIntyre/McIntyre, Porter, Winters

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
              Take a look at TNG - http://tngsitebuilding.com/ - a lot of Reunion users are using this to display their Reunion data online, and just today Darrin announced on facebook he's sold 15,000 licenses for TNG - a lot of people using all sorts of software for their genealogy are using TNG.

My site, showing my great great grandfather is here - mine is incorporated with WordPress -

Data is moved from Reunion to TNG by GEDCOM file - export from Reunion, import in to TNG.

Cheers

Roger
              I don't fully understand web pages and how to create them, my son who is a software engineer said it may need to 'be hosted somewhere and may cost extra money'. I'm not sure what this means but is this true?
              I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
              Using Reunion 10
              Safari

Comment

Originally posted by The Wheeler Family View Post
                I don't fully understand web pages and how to create them, my son who is a software engineer said it may need to 'be hosted somewhere and may cost extra money'. I'm not sure what this means but is this true?
                Yes - you need to subscribe to a web hosting service. I use the one that TNG recommends - SimplyHosting.net. You can get a plan from them for as little as $5/month. They also are very familiar with TNG and will even install it for you on their server in your hosted directory free of charge. Then all you have to do is use the screens in TNG to customize the look of your site and upload your GED to get started.

This is the handout I made for a presentation on this subject to my local genealogical society:

This is our TNG web site:

Clearinghouse for Bishir/Bisher/Byshire genealogy, photos and documents.

Don

Comment

My goodness! I am getting a little overwhelmed at the amount of work that is ahead of me.

Your web page is very good.

Even if I don't go down this path just yet I do want to put something together so the family can see what I have found and build on it as time goes by.

I have got the facts for my direct maternal line into Reunion with Sources and the few photos I have. I have done some research around their lives and tried to write narratives for these.

BUT what about the cousins, second cousins and their spouses, children, etc? Do you research these as well?
                  I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                  Using Reunion 10
                  Safari

Comment

BUT what about the cousins, second cousins and their spouses, children, etc? Do you research these as well?
                    I research:

1. That which interests me personally.

2. That which interests the people I care about.

If a person does more than that, it's probably a path to boredom and cessation of research. Of course, some people's interests are more wide ranging than those of others.
                    Tim Lundin
                    Heartland Family Graphics
                    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

My goodness! I am getting a little overwhelmed at the amount of work that is ahead of me.

Your web page is very good.

Even if I don't go down this path just yet I do want to put something together so the family can see what I have found and build on it as time goes by.

I have got the facts for my direct maternal line into Reunion with Sources and the few photos I have. I have done some research around their lives and tried to write narratives for these.

Personally I research second cousins and there spouses etc, because my family has a lot to do with them. I suppose it depends on how and who your were brought up with.
                      Tracy Little
                      Researching: Wishnowski, Rodger, Byrne, Bulliff, Little, Friend, Witherow

Comment

We don't research side branches much for most of our lines. However, sometimes the most interesting characters are a little off the direct ancestral path. For example, I found a cousin who was a very famous vaudevillian performer and who performed the first on-screen kiss in an Edison film (May Irwin). And my wife found out she is related to the lead singer of a famous rock group from the 60s and now we exchange emails with him about the family. In fact, it turned out he had a picture of my wife's Great-Great-Great Grandfather - we had never seen a photo of him before!

Most of the time, however, we resort to looking for everyone only when we hit a brick wall. Sometimes, if you can't seem to figure out who someone's parents are, it is best to survey everybody with the same last name in an area and then try to fit them together in relationships like a jig saw puzzle. In several cases, doing that and by process of elimination, we were able to pin-point which family they came from.

For my wife's Bishir family, we have been doing that for years (and still unable to scale the brick wall) so the amount of information we've gathered on that family has grown and grown - as if water were building up behind a dam. And now it's pretty much a One Name Study. But in the process, we've met a LOT of 4th and 5th cousins who are now our friends as we work on the problem together.

Don

P.S. I should add that, even if we don't look at cousins for a line, we do flesh things out into 1st and 2nd cousins a bit for recent lines (Grandparent's surnames) because if we didn't include our 1st and 2nd cousins in the book, who would want a copy? :-)
                        Last edited by donworth; 29 January 2014, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Thank-you all for your insights. I think I need to sit down and work out a plan of attack and go with that. It really is a big job isn't it to research the family?
                          I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                          Using Reunion 10
                          Safari

Comment

I just purchased TNG and a domain www.wrightson-genealogy.com at SimplyHosting.com. All very simple and (I think) a good cost value. Simply Hosting is currently installing TNG.

My genealogy pages are currently the Reunion web pages (which I think are very good) but I thought I'd try the additional diversity display options of TNG.
                            Researching: Wrightson, Birmingham, MacIntyre/McIntyre, Porter, Winters

Comment

Thank-you!
                              I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                              Using Reunion 10
                              Safari

Comment

Working...
                              X