This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-order source #

In an attempt to clean-up my file I ran match and merge of duplicate sources, all 6,000+ of them. In the course of merging them it had taken the lowest # of the duplicate and made all subsequent duplicates the same #. Excellent tool and a real time-saver for sure.

Now I have a much more manageable source listing. With it comes a small issue; it has created gaps in the source number sequence. I was wondering if there is a way of renumbering the sources such that the gaps are removed?
    Hayward...
    Mac Studio, A1 Max, 64GB memory, Sonoma 14.2.1

Re: Re-order source #

Originally posted by HJKeats View Post
    In an attempt to clean-up my file I ran match and merge of duplicate sources, all 6,000+ of them. In the course of merging them it had taken the lowest # of the duplicate and made all subsequent duplicates the same #. Excellent tool and a real time-saver for sure.

Now I have a much more manageable source listing. With it comes a small issue; it has created gaps in the source number sequence. I was wondering if there is a way of renumbering the sources such that the gaps are removed?
    It's not really necessary - the sources that you add in the future will fill in those gaps. My source records aren't in any kind of chronological order any longer because of this, but it doesn't matter.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by HJKeats View Post
      I was wondering if there is a way of renumbering the sources such that the gaps are removed?
      One way of doing this is to create a new blank Reunion family file (File > Export > Reunion Family File) with no people, no sources, no multimedia from your original family tree. This will create a blank family tree that has your log files and preferences.

Then export a GEDCOM file from your original (all people, multimedia files, sources, all optional fields selected, event memos) and then import this GEDCOM file into the new family tree created above.

The source numbers will be reordered with no gaps.

See if that gets you what you want - At worse you have created a second family tree file which you can review and if not what you desired, you can delete it.

Regards,
      PC

Comment

Thanks Jeff, thanks PC for your help and suggestions.
        Hayward...
        Mac Studio, A1 Max, 64GB memory, Sonoma 14.2.1

Comment

Working...
        X