X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security issue

Hello folks,

I have been sharing my files with family as a "Web Project" and within that I protect certain information such as social security numbers but I have recently run across a problem and do not have a solution. I now want to send "Web Projects" to other repositories for preservation.

I attach an image of each source under the multimedia tab of that source in the family file. However, I have recently entered as sources some full family probate files, which I obtained from the Surrogate Court and was surprised to see that a number of people are listed with their full social security numbers. I do not want to "black out" the actual document but I think it is dangerous for this information to be out there in the general public as these folks are living.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Frank
    Frank Zwolinski
    Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Re: Security issue

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
    Hello folks,

I have been sharing my files with family as a "Web Project" and within that I protect certain information such as social security numbers but I have recently run across a problem and do not have a solution. I now want to send "Web Projects" to other repositories for preservation.

I attach an image of each source under the multimedia tab of that source in the family file. However, I have recently entered as sources some full family probate files, which I obtained from the Surrogate Court and was surprised to see that a number of people are listed with their full social security numbers. I do not want to "black out" the actual document but I think it is dangerous for this information to be out there in the general public as these folks are living.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Frank
    Is it safe to assume that you've scanned the original document? Perhaps you could get some archival tape and cover the SS # and then re-scan it? Archival tape shouldn't damage the original document. Just a thought ...

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Thank you, good idea, however I received the document as a scan and do not have the original. I was hoping that there might be a way to block it out of the scan, alas. . . . . .

Frank
      Frank Zwolinski
      Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.

Comment

Jeff,

Thank you, good idea, however I received the document as a scan and do not have the original. I was hoping that there might be a way to block it out of the scan, alas. . . . . .

Frank
        Of course you can cover it over! Open the scan in Photoshop, draw a black rectangle on the parts you don't want to show, save a copy under a different filename (so you still have the uncensored original scan!) and post it.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          Of course you can cover it over! Open the scan in Photoshop, draw a black rectangle on the parts you don't want to show, save a copy under a different filename (so you still have the uncensored original scan!) and post it.
          OK, now we are talking!!
          Is it possible for anyone else to undo that blocking?

Thanks,
          Frank
          Frank Zwolinski

Comment

Is it possible for anyone else to undo that blocking?
            Not if you do it right
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

You could also "blur" them out. That's what I do to hide information. It just looks less forbidding that blacking out.. BTW... There are lots of programs much cheaper than Photoshop that can black out or blur for you.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                You could also "blur" them out. That's what I do to hide information. It just looks less forbidding that blacking out.. BTW... There are lots of programs much cheaper than Photoshop that can black out or blur for you.
                Good to know that there is more than one way to do it. Much as I would like to have Photoshop, I don't.

Comment

Thank you all for these suggestions. I wonder if there is any program which will help me block out the social security numbers, while still in PDF, OR MUST it be put in another program first?

Thanks,
                  Frank
                  Frank Zwolinski

Comment

You can also do this in recent versions of Preview. Use the annotate tool.
                    Tom Boyd
                    boydroots.net

Comment

This program is a near to PhotoShop as you can get for a free program and is very well liked - it gets rave reviews. Runs on either Mac OSX or Windows.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program: The Free and Open Source Image Editor

I use PhotoShop myself but have a copy of GIMP installed on my Mac. I just checked, and it has Gaussian Blur just like PhotoShop.

Don

Comment

Thank you all for these suggestions. I wonder if there is any program which will help me block out the social security numbers, while still in PDF, OR MUST it be put in another program first?
                        Be aware that in (almost?) all cases, editing a PDF directly to block something out will leave the original text underneath, and open to retrieval. Sometimes a simple copy & paste will reveal the original text.
                        Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Adobe Acrobat has a Redaction function that converts selections to black boxes. Acrobat is expensive, however.
                          Robert Godfrey

http://www.QuoddyLoop.com
                          A 3-Nation Vacation in Maine, Sipayik, & New Brunswick

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Godfrey View Post
                            Adobe Acrobat has a Redaction function that converts selections to black boxes. Acrobat is expensive, however.
                            PDFPen-$59.99 & PDFPenPro-$99.99 do redactions also. Check them out on the Mac App Store & click on their website for more info.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to the SmileOnMyMac company except as a satisfied customer.
                            Kaye Mushalik
                            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
                            X