This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Person

I changed the Source Person, me, to my cousin in Reunion Family Tree, as I want to burn this Tree to disc, but when I export the Tree it shows no relationships.

Help please

Re: Source Person

Originally posted by Stephen Hill View Post
    I changed the Source Person, me, to my cousin in Reunion Family Tree, as I want to burn this Tree to disc, but when I export the Tree it shows no relationships.

Help please
    If I understand your question, you have one more step to make. After chanigne the source person, from the menu select List --> Relatives ... --> Identify tab --> [make sure the correct source person is marked] --> click Identify.

Caveat. I am still on 9.0c, so the steps may be different on Reunion 10, but I would expect they are similar.
    Bob Emnett
    V9.0c, X10.10.5
    rosebob.emnett "at" yahoo.com

Comment

Help please
      Assuming you are exporting a GEDCOM, 'Relationship' does not appear as an optional field to include in the export GEDCOM file. Likely it is left to your cousin's application to calculate relationships once your GEDCOM is imported.
      Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by ByronSpoon View Post
        Assuming you are exporting a GEDCOM, 'Relationship' does not appear as an optional field to include in the export GEDCOM file. Likely it is left to your cousin's application to calculate relationships once your GEDCOM is imported.
        No. I've Exported it as a 'straight' file, I think - it looks the same as my desktop file.

However my original Desktop File was a cut-out of three little Peg People, now the Peg file does not open the Family Tree but opens a file list in a Reunion folder, none of which are my Family File. However, what has landed on my Desktop is a file icon, the same Peg image as original Family Tree file but it is a turned down page icon as opposed to the cut-out Peg icon. It is named the same as my Peg file and opens my Family Tree file.

When I burn the file to disc it shows itself in a Finder window and opens as my Family Peg File does. But I'm worried that the multimedia vids etc are not attached to the file because when i want to open the vids it searches for them and I think it retrieves them from my computer.

As a further point the three peg icon is in both on my desktop and in the sidebar and in the apps folder but they just open a Reunion folder and not my Family Tree. So that leaves only the page icon to open my Family Tree. Is my Three Peg cut-out lurking somewhere else onb my computer ?

Cheers Steve

Comment

Your explanation makes little sense to me because I have no clue as to what Peg People or a peg file is!!! Please give me a clue.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
            Your explanation makes little sense to me because I have no clue as to what Peg People or a peg file is!!! Please give me a clue.
            The Peg people are the three wooden toys/tops used by Reunion as the Reunion logo symbolising Dad, Mum, and Child.

Comment

The Peg people are the three wooden toys/tops used by Reunion as the Reunion logo symbolising Dad, Mum, and Child.
              Well if you will talk in code !!!

I think we need to take this one step at a time as your descriptions suggest you have little knowledge of computers.

Firstly, the "cut out" logo is called an icon. If it has no surround, then I suspect that it is not a file at all, but is actually the Reunion application, which I think is the only thing that appears that way. If that is the case I am not sure why it would be on your desktop as it would normally reside in your Applications folder, and/or on your dock. Double clicking that icon would open Reunion. Now depending on how your Preferences are set up Reunion may automatically open a specified familyfile, or the last accessed one, or may present you with its default folder and ask you to choose.

The icon that appears as a page with a turned corner, the reunion logo, and the word FAMILY is your familyfile, or a copy of it. If you exported your file to the Desktop as a Reunion familyfile, then that may explain this file being on your desktop. Your original familyfile may be wherever it used to be on your computer - perhaps in Reunions default location, or somewhere else if you saved it somewhere else originally.

So question 1 is - what kind of file did you export? Which option did you choose when you clicked on File>Export, because "straight file" is not one of the options - they are GEDCOM, TEXT, iCal, or Reunion family file.

Also Question 2 is - what exactly is a multimedia vid? Am I correct in saying that you have some kind of movie (i.e. video) files linked to your familyfile?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
                Well if you will talk in code !!!

I think we need to take this one step at a time as your descriptions suggest you have little knowledge of computers.

Firstly, the "cut out" logo is called an icon. If it has no surround, then I suspect that it is not a file at all, but is actually the Reunion application, which I think is the only thing that appears that way. If that is the case I am not sure why it would be on your desktop as it would normally reside in your Applications folder, and/or on your dock. Double clicking that icon would open Reunion. Now depending on how your Preferences are set up Reunion may automatically open a specified familyfile, or the last accessed one, or may present you with its default folder and ask you to choose.

The icon that appears as a page with a turned corner, the reunion logo, and the word FAMILY is your familyfile, or a copy of it. If you exported your file to the Desktop as a Reunion familyfile, then that may explain this file being on your desktop. Your original familyfile may be wherever it used to be on your computer - perhaps in Reunions default location, or somewhere else if you saved it somewhere else originally.

So question 1 is - what kind of file did you export? Which option did you choose when you clicked on File>Export, because "straight file" is not one of the options - they are GEDCOM, TEXT, iCal, or Reunion family file.

Also Question 2 is - what exactly is a multimedia vid? Am I correct in saying that you have some kind of movie (i.e. video) files linked to your familyfile?
                All terms of reference are code to the uninitiated, and are sometimes called jargon. But you mustn

Comment

I'm sorry if you have taken offence. I was only trying to help. I'm from Yorkshire and know all about blunt speaking. So calm down and lets see what can be done.

Firstly if you had the Reunion app on your Desktop (the one with the "cut out" icon, and there were no other "turned down page" icons on your desktop before you did the export, then your familyfile containing your data must be somewhere other than on your desktop. The one that is on your Desktop is presumably the copy that you exported, and if you didn't alter the default name it was given when you did the export should have the word Export in its file name?

So when you click on that - you are opening the exported copy. Your original familyfile should be somewhere else. Try clicking on the Spotlight icon and entering "familyfile10" - this should produce a list of all such files on your computer - click on Show in Finder to find out which folder they are in. The exported one is on your desktop - where is the other(s). There is an option in Reunion's preferences as to which familyfile is opened by default - unless you have altered it reunion will automatically open the last file you opened. You should be able to switch back to the original via File>Open Recent.

Reunion does not store multimedia files within the familyfile - just a reference to wherever the file is on your computer. So if you have video files I am fairly sure they will not have moved and will not have been copied. When you do the export it offers you some alternative ways of treating media files in the export - This includes whether to export all multimedia. Even if you select this it does not copy those files - it just links back to them in their original location. There is an option to Copy multimedia files to a new folder - I have not tried this as I have rather a lot, but this may well allow you to copy media to your desktop as well.

If you double click one of your media files in reunion it opens in a window that includes a note of the path where the file is actually saved.

Comment

Did you hear the one about the Geordie, the Yorkshireman and the Peg People ?
                    I'm loving this one, but there is a good point being made too....

Like many I suspect, I use Reunion quietly on my own and make it up as I go along and try to pick up the best ways of doing things, both from the Manual, the excellent Reuniontalk and any other helpful places I can find like Ben Sayer etc... I really enjoy the program but don't always know the best ways of going about processes which to some are second nature. And as this thread shows, even describing the basics in Reunion is not always straightforward !!

But there really is little substitute for interacting with others and seeing how the program is used . And not just the program, but the Mac itself. If you have access to a Mac or better still, a Reunion User Group, then you are fortunate. ( Oops , the Peg people could use a RUG.) For many of us , especially on this side of the pond, we don't have access to those. Unfortunately the average Mac is not like the TV, which you usually can just turn on and change a few channels and enjoy what you want. Despite the fact we are in the 21st century, computers just ain't that easy yet......
                    Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

My apologies for asking what Peg people are. I didn't think it would start what you fellows on the righthand side of the pond refer to as a donnybrook. (Hope that is the correct spelling.)

Just want to respond to Stephen's assertion that he can put his "bits and pieces" wherever he likes. Mostly that is OK but it is not totally possible. There are lots of applications that do not work or work miserably if you put the original on the desktop. Otherwise it is OK as long as one doesn't get a ridiculous number of files on the desktop. Eventually, performance of the computer will degrade if this practice is taken to an extreme. (I suspect that Stephen is probably like one of my old bosses whose desk was always piled high and mixed with memos, studies, books, etc. but, if you asked him about anything, he could immediately put his finger on the correct document.)

This discussion points out another thought. If one is going to ask a question, first think about what you are saying, then ask the question in terms that most participants will understand. Otherwise, call things whatever you want.
                      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
                        I'm sorry if you have taken offence. I was only trying to help. I'm from Yorkshire and know all about blunt speaking. So calm down and lets see what can be done.
                        No offence taken mate

Comment

My apologies for asking what Peg people are. I didn't think it would start what you fellows on the righthand side of the pond refer to as a donnybrook. (Hope that is the correct spelling.)
                          Divided by a comon language Bob. And I do take your point, a place for everything and everthing in its place. The only 'app' I have on my Desktop is Reunion because I'm digging and delving in it every day. The rest of the rubbish is a build up of on going correspondence that gets documentised (s or z?) :-) in due course.

re rcirocco is right explaining a problem without benefit of jargon knowledge is a constant.

Comment

what you fellows on the righthand side of the pond refer to as a donnybrook. (Hope that is the correct spelling.)
                            Had to look that one up Bob - I never came across it before in 52 years living in the UK. Donnybrook is a suburb of Dublin where a fair was held until the 1850's - so perhaps its an irish expression.

Comment

but no ,you have to root around the three Applications folders that show. Why did I think that Apple would ever make it easy for the punter.
                              I don't think you can blame Apple if you go your own way. I only have ONE Applications folder as provided by Apple. Where did your other two come from? (One could possibly be a backup copy you made???)

So, the question remaining is - Is there any way that all the pics, vids and songs etc can be harnessed to the outgoing Family File for the delectation of the hungary masses?
                              This is a bit tricky. When you do your export you are asked if you want to copy your media files as well. Answer yes by ticking the box. This will copy your media files as well BUT when you open the exported familyfile you will find that it STILL references the original media file location(s), and not the copies you just made.

To rectify this, once the familyfile and media files are copied to another mac, is to enter Reunion Preferences and select Multimedia and point the program at the correct path to the media files.

The other question is why you are doing this export. Whoever you are giving this to will need to have their own copy of Reunion in order to view it

Comment

Working...
                              X