This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extracting a report for those alive during UK censuses

Hello. Is there an easy way of extracting names of those who were alive during the 1841-1911 UK census years (while also omitting those who weren't in UK, but alive during this period?)

Ideally, I'd like to export them out to an Excel spreadsheet :-)

Many thanks and kind regards
    Last edited by Harvey Researcher; 18 November 2013, 08:52 PM.
    James Edward HARVEY b1871, d1909, m1895 Evelyn Julia POTTLE b1872, d1947, Freshwater, Newfoundland.

Re: Extracting a report for those alive during UK censuses

Originally posted by Harvey Researcher View Post
    Hello. Is there an easy way of extracting names of those who were alive during the 1841-1911 UK census years (while also omitting those who weren't in UK, but alive during this period?)

Ideally, I'd like to export them out to an Excel spreadsheet :-)

Many thanks and kind regards
    I have UK census information in my research and the answer below depends on how you have referenced that information. I have residence events for 1841 through 1911 census data and the attached screen shot shows the find selection, namely;

- Find any person whose residence date was after 1840 (given that Ancestry has only published UK census up to 1911, there is no publicly available data after this to my knowledge, the use of before 1912 in my mind may not be necessary). Secondly, for a person to reside in the area implies there were alive
    AND
    - Find any person whose residence place contains ", UK". All of my research uses Reunion Geodata lookup meaning that English place names end in ", UK". Your data may end in ", England".

This produces a list of people it finds in the results sidebar. At the bottom of the sidebar is a blue icon called "Share". Select this and export to Textedit (or whatever you have as the application handling text files) as a text file. Save this file and open it in Excel - I don't have Excel on my Mac but Excel maybe an option under File > Import or may work with File > Open menu.

NB: You can click on people in the results windows and in the Family View, you can check that the Find results is accurate. I used this to fine-tune the find to look for ", UK" as opposed to simply "UK" as it was also finding place names containing the letters u and k, e.g. Kotuku.

Not sure if this meets your needs, but it may assist you in finding a solution.

Regards,
    PC
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Extracting a report for those alive during UK censuses

Wow! Thanks so much. Seems like an excellent solution.

I will try that.

Thanks again
      James Edward HARVEY b1871, d1909, m1895 Evelyn Julia POTTLE b1872, d1947, Freshwater, Newfoundland.

Comment

Working...
      X