This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Married names vs maiden names

I'm confused about entering the married name of the ladies. When adding a female child and the married name is known, where do I put that name? For example my married name is Connie Keyes, my maiden name Gurney would I be listed as Connie Gurney or Connie Gurney Keyes?

Re: Married names vs maiden names

Originally posted by C.Keyes View Post
    When adding a female child and the married name is known, where do I put that name? For example my married name is Connie Keyes, my maiden name Gurney would I be listed as Connie Gurney or Connie Gurney Keyes?
    The usual practice is to enter everyone with the name they had at birth.

You would enter yourself as Connie Gurney, your husband as [Firstname] Keyes. Reunion will "know" that your married name is Connie Keyes.

In cases where last names don't follow this pattern, you can enter a married name in the "married name" fact field. If, for example, you had retained your maiden name after your marriage, you could enter "Gurney" in the "Married Name" field. Or if you and your husband had hyphenated your names on marriage, you could put "Gurney-Keyes" in his, and your, "Married Name" fields.

With these conventions, Reunion will show the proper married names for children in the family view if you've added the Married Name field to the view.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Re: Married names vs maiden names

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      The usual practice is to enter everyone with the name they had at birth.
      Thank goodness it is smarter than I am. I think that is what I was doing when I started entering years ago, but I made the mistake of thinking about it when I restarted and that was a mistake.

Thank you.
      clk
      Last edited by Gregg; 04 November 2013, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X