This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marking Blood Relatives

I quite like v10 now that I've got used to it, but it's not behaving as I had expected in marking blood relatives. Until this evening I had a 5G-Grandparents pair, both being recognised (and marked) as blood relatives, and two generations above them another pair (7G-Gp) similarly recognised and marked. OK so far.

The (male) between them was also recognised (6G-Gp) and marked, but I had not found his wife until this evening. (I guess he didn't have the same problem!)

When I added the wife's name into the so-far blank field I expected her to be marked automatically, but when she wasn't I remarked the whole file expecting the wife to show among blood relatives of myself. No such luck, even though Reunion recognises my 5G-Gfather as being her son (through an explicit test of their relationship with each other).

I unmarked everybody and closed Reunion (not just the file), then reopened and attempted a blood relatives (of myself) remark, but she was still not recognised among the guilty parties! By the way, there was no phantom wife lurking in an unseen list - I did check.

I have now resolved this by first marking all my direct ancestors, among whom she (6G-Gmother) IS recognised, and then marking (without the pre-unmark) all blood relatives. This solves the problem, but I cannot see why it is necessary. It does look like a bug.

No rush for an answer, but I'd welcome a discussion of this issue.
    Brian.

Re: Marking Blood Relatives

Originally posted by Brian Millo View Post
    I quite like v10 now that I've got used to it, but it's not behaving as I had expected in marking blood relatives. Until this evening I had a 5G-Grandparents pair, both being recognised (and marked) as blood relatives, and two generations above them another pair (7G-Gp) similarly recognised and marked. OK so far.

The (male) between them was also recognised (6G-Gp) and marked, but I had not found his wife until this evening. (I guess he didn't have the same problem!)

When I added the wife's name into the so-far blank field I expected her to be marked automatically, but when she wasn't I remarked the whole file expecting the wife to show among blood relatives of myself. No such luck, even though Reunion recognises my 5G-Gfather as being her son (through an explicit test of their relationship with each other).

I unmarked everybody and closed Reunion (not just the file), then reopened and attempted a blood relatives (of myself) remark, but she was still not recognised among the guilty parties! By the way, there was no phantom wife lurking in an unseen list - I did check.

I have now resolved this by first marking all my direct ancestors, among whom she (6G-Gmother) IS recognised, and then marking (without the pre-unmark) all blood relatives. This solves the problem, but I cannot see why it is necessary. It does look like a bug.

No rush for an answer, but I'd welcome a discussion of this issue.
    Brian.
    Hi Brian,

Based on your note, it sounds like one step was missed after adding the wife of your 6G-Gp.

That step would be to have Reunion "re-identify" your relatives.

To do this, begin on your family view and select "Find Relatives" from your "Person menu" button (i.e., the little gray, or red, triangle to the right of your name).

Another way to do the same thing would be to "Control-click" on your name in the family view and select "Find Relatives" from the menu that opens.

Afterward, Reunion should include her when marking your blood relatives.

But, if not, let us know and we'll go from there.
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
      Hi Brian,

Based on your note, it sounds like one step was missed after adding the wife of your 6G-Gp.

To do this, begin on your family view and select "Find Relatives" from your "Person menu" button (i.e., the little gray, or red, triangle to the right of your name).

Another way to do the same thing would be to "Control-click" on your name in the family view and select "Find Relatives" from the menu that opens.

Thank you for the prompt response, Deb. I had missed that intermediate step, and I'll not forget it in future.
      Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
        Hi Brian,

I had the same problems thanks to this reply above, I was able to rectify the problem. All fixed now, some people were showing as Great Nephews theory were actually anything but that.

Comment

Working...
        X