This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I delete a generation?

Some time ago I loaded a GEDCOM that was, for the most part, correct. Now that I have an authoritative source in hand I see that the GEDCOM listed a father and son who are actually the same person. All of the ancestors and descendants of this person are correct, so I don't want to lose them. However, I basically want to delete the father or merge the father and son so that the "grandfather" and his ancestors "move down" into the vacant generation.

"Grandfather"=Phillip
    "Father" = Robert
    "Son" = Robert
    Robert's son = Thomas

If I just delete the bogus Father Robert will I be left with a blank generation?

Hope this is clear. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Gary

Re: How do I delete a generation?

Originally posted by Gary F View Post
    I basically want to delete the father or merge the father and son so that the "grandfather" and his ancestors "move down" into the vacant generation.

"Grandfather"=Phillip
    "Father" = Robert
    "Son" = Robert
    Robert's son = Thomas
    There are a lot of ways you can do this, but maybe the easiest and safest would be:

[1] move Son Robert to Grandfather Phillips' family card (so that Phillip will have two sons named Robert.)
    [2] mark Robert and Robert.
    [3] match and merge Robert and Robert.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks Dennis. Renunion seems to be able to handle every situation if one can just find the right command. I'd never heard of match and merge but that seems to be just what I need.
      Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary F View Post
        Thanks Dennis. Renunion seems to be able to handle every situation if one can just find the right command. I'd never heard of match and merge but that seems to be just what I need.
        Thank you!
        Just let me know if you have any problems and I can give more detailed instructions.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
        X