This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing Photographs

Has anyone the experience of working with old photographs which are mounted in cardboard folders? I have many and wonder if I should remove the cardboard for the preservation of the photograph? The folders themselves have historical value to me but I am sure that they are not archival.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Frank
    Frank Zwolinski
    Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Re: Storing Photographs

Hello Frank
    I do not have answers to your Storage Dilemma. I have many photos in various frames and folders. Mostly I removed the frames and folders to make room in storage. Also to make digital copies.
    Shame though, as all mine have never deteriorated except for some paper covers, after being stored in many places from my relatives. Then in cardboard boxes etc during my own home shifting, mostly never in ideal conditions, e.g. - very hot cupboards in the spare room!
    Those I did find cumbersome - like very large I have yet to decide on.
    I wrote on his matter in an earlier posting.
    Lately my thoughts are centred on who will inherit them and treasure the family records.
    Like many researchers, I am in my late 70's and I find I need to downsize a lot of possessions so I have sent or returned those photos. I have found homes for much of them with family members.
    My biggest problem is the thousand or so small family postcard sized and smaller 'snaps'.
    I have made temporary files using plastic sleeves in large 4 ring folders.
    Still a big job and deciding in which one to file a group such as a formal wedding.
    I have yet to convince my two daughters that all this is worthwhile and they will inherit the lot regardless of how carefully they are stored.
    Best of luck anyhow.
    Noel
    Noel Fields Australia
    email > nefields@me.com <
    Researching Fields, Majewski, Watson, Hurwood, Parker.

Comment

Re: Storing Photographs

You might want to check your local library for books by Maureen Taylor, who is considered the leading expert in historical photography. She also has a website - http://www.maureentaylor.com - Personally, I would not like to try to separate a photograph from it's folder. I scan the whole thing in TIFF format and then make duplicates when I want to edit them...such as cropping out the folder. There are ways to store them that will slow down the ravages of time. Nothing will last forever.
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
      X