This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort order for multiple spouses

I entered a new spouse for an existing individual who is already married to another individual in the family file. But this is the first spouse and the existing spouse in the family file now becomes the second spouse. I read the manual about how to change the sort order (click the red triangle, select 'edit spouses', sort or move manually, save) but it doesn't work! No matter what I do, the second spouse always shows up when the family file is opened. I want the first spouse to display by default, not the second. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Re: Sort order for multiple spouses

Originally posted by Jeff89 View Post
    I entered a new spouse for an existing individual who is already married to another individual in the family file. But this is the first spouse and the existing spouse in the family file now becomes the second spouse. I read the manual about how to change the sort order (click the red triangle, select 'edit spouses', sort or move manually, save) but it doesn't work! No matter what I do, the second spouse always shows up when the family file is opened. I want the first spouse to display by default, not the second. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
    There are two separate settings. One (the order) controls which marriage is first chronologically, but another (the preferred spouse) controls which one shows on the family card when you first visit it.

I suspect you probably have already changed the sort order, even though you think it didn't work.

To change which spouse shows up when the family card is first opened, you want to change the "preferred spouse" setting. To change the setting, click the Person menu button (the down-pointing red triangle at the top right of a person's person button), choose Spouses & Children -> Edit Spouses, and put a check in the "Preferred" column of the spouse you want to show up.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Re: Sort order for multiple spouses

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      choose Spouses & Children -> Edit Spouses, and put a check in the "Preferred" column of the spouse you want to show up.
      Dennis, THANK YOU! I've been married 17 years to my second husband, and it was so annoying to have my ex keep showing on my Family view. I have to admit I did not search the manual to try to solve this, but am so glad to have seen your advice here. Thanks again.
      Susan

Comment

Working...
      X