This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a new tree from an existing tree

I'd like extract/copy all of my wife's parents and ancestors data and create a new tree separate from the main one. Is this possible or do I have to start from scratch?
    Dennis B. Swaney
    Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Re: Creating a new tree from an existing tree

You can mark the people you want to move, and then export them to a GEDCOM file or another Reunion family file, but the topic has come up recently in the Reunion 9 forum with a fair amount of unanimity in the answers:

Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      You can mark the people you want to move, and then export them to a GEDCOM file or another Reunion family file, but the topic has come up recently in the Reunion 9 forum with a fair amount of unanimity in the answers:

http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=8666
      Thanks for the link. However, that situation is different from mine. What I want to do is extract/copy all the data for my wife's line to pass on to one of her nephew's wife who is starting from scratch. I'd still have ALL the same data in my file.

So if I do the GEDCOM trick, can I select my wife's name and then say to also select all direct ancestors (so my name and family line would not be selected) or will I have to manually select each individual person in her line (it goes back almost 400 years)?
      Dennis B. Swaney
      Prescott, AZ

Comment

Sorry for my wrong assumption!

You can mark her ancestors, but it might be that the best option is to mark everyone linked to her. This catches everyone on her side of the family, including her ancestors, aunts and uncles, in laws, cousins, and their descendants. It stops at you though, and will not include any of your side of the family. Make sure to unmark everyone first.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
          Sorry for my wrong assumption!

You can mark her ancestors, but it might be that the best option is to mark everyone linked to her. This catches everyone on her side of the family, including her ancestors, aunts and uncles, in laws, cousins, and their descendants. It stops at you though, and will not include any of your side of the family. Make sure to unmark everyone first.
          Thanks, Tim. I THINK I got what I wanted. I selected my brother-in-law and then marked "all relatives". I then exported the set to both a Reunion family file and to a GEDCOM. Now if my brother-in-law's daughter-in-law (whew, that's a mouthful) says she is using Reunion, I can send her the family file; otherwise I'll send the GEDCOM.
          Dennis B. Swaney
          Prescott, AZ

Comment

Working...
          X