Ancestry.com won't load

Hello,

iMac PPC with OS 10.4.11

I
    Irene
    iMac G5 PPC OS 10.4.11
    Reunion 9.07

Re: Ancestry.com won't load

No help, except that Ancestry is good at making it your problem, not theirs. My sympathies!

Comment

Maybe reinstall the Java framework in addition to JavaScript? That would be the Java Runtime and such. My Java components say 14.8.0 (I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.4). You can check yours by doing an About this Mac under the apple menu, then More Info..., then System Report..., then look at Frameworks under Software. You can download Java from java.com. Java's supposed to keep itself updated tho. So this is just a shot in the dark.

Another thing to try would be to install Firefox and see if that works where the others didn't.

Comment

For what it's worth, on FaceBook the Ancestry.com page have been issuing apologies for issues with their site a lot recently.
        It may actually be that you're being affected by whatever their issues are.
        Best of luck.

Comment

Another possibility is that there is a problem with network routes between your local network and Ancestry's. I just ran into something of the sort with an online game I play a lot and it took them 2 or 3 days to resolve the issue (rather the network provider for their data center service resolved it). Since this sort of thing can happen frequently (bad spots in the Internet that prevent someone from accessing something) it's a good idea to wait a few days to see if the problem persists or not.

Although if it's been going on for weeks, this is probably not the issue...

Comment

After I upgraded my Mac operating system to Safari 5.1.9, I have not been able to access Ancestry.com. It will not retain my user name & password. I read Ancestry does't support Safari. Ancesttry.com does work on my iPad 2.

Comment

I was frustrated for ages with the same problem when using Safari but since using Ancestry through the Firefox browser I have had no issues getting access to the site. Try switching to Firefox, it worked for me.
              researching: LAIT (all) and REEDS (all) in England
              http://www.yvonnereeds.com
              MacBook Air, Reunion 12, Safari 15.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies which have been very helpful.
                I
                Irene
                iMac G5 PPC OS 10.4.11
                Reunion 9.07

Comment

Originally posted by Reeds Family View Post
                  I was frustrated for ages with the same problem when using Safari but since using Ancestry through the Firefox browser I have had no issues getting access to the site. Try switching to Firefox, it worked for me.
                  I encountered several sites that recommended switching to Firefox in lieu of Safari - seemed a bit unusual, but I must admit, that lots of the problems I was getting with Safari seemed to dissolve with Firefox. I still like Safari, but alternate between the two now and then .

Comment

[QUOTE=Irene;38804]
                    My opinion was that the changes they made were a step too far for my elderly OS (10.4.11). In any case, I didn

Comment

Hi Jeff89,

Thanks for the heads up. The only reason I haven
                      Irene
                      iMac G5 PPC OS 10.4.11
                      Reunion 9.07

Comment

On the other hand I have upgraded operating systems within a few weeks of when announced and generally using the "current" operating system. I have found the upgrades relatively painless and I get the advantages of the new operating system. Also, when you upgrade operating systems Apple gives their usual excellent technical support. If one were to wait for the next operating system after Mountain Lion, which is reportedly soon, it would be a bigger problem.
                        Richard Palmer
                        "Life is Good"
                        Click here to email me
                        Wahl&Schmidt-Germany; McCarbery-Ireland

Comment

Upgrading your OS isn't really an option if you have an older Power PC Mac!
                          Last edited by donworth; 15 September 2013, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
                            Upgrading your OS isn't really an option if you have an older Power PC Mac!
                            Then it's time to open up the checkbook. The last of the Power PC's (PowerMac G5) was pulled from sales in August 2006.
                            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

[QUOTE=Irene;38939]Hi Jeff89,

Thanks for the heads up. The only reason I haven

Comment

Working...
                              X