X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy for the Casual Reader?

Hi all,

While much has been written here about the various ways to write ones family history, I have a question of more specific interest. I believe that it may be some time (if ever) that I write an actual book, however, I like to send my family some updates from time to time. Currently I do that with Reunion's "Web Project" on a DVD and have found that a good "visual" albeit a LOT of information, too much for some folks! My current thought is to send something more personal, with the receiving person the "source person" on charts and reports. Has anyone done something like that and if so, what are your suggestions for a report that is easily read and understood by those not really interested in Genealogy.

My goal here is twofold: First, sharing information with family, and second, making sure that there are many copies of my research out there in hopes that, in the future some may remain around to "spark" the imagination of future family researchers.

So, to cut to the chase, what are everyone's suggestions for easy to read/understand, short, and informative personalized "mini histories?"

Thanks for giving some thought to this question.

Frank
    Frank Zwolinski
    Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Re: Easy for the Casual Reader?

I've given this much thought over the years thanks to Reunion readers. I've come full circle in my own philosophy regarding the publishing of my family history and dealing with old family photographs. I am about to launch Ed.1.0 ! It is a project with infinite scope.

It's difficult to face, but very few of ones family members will be interested in the family history, especially the youngsters.

I have chosen to write a chapter for each of my forebears up to my great-great-grandparents in a word processor. These I have turned into PDF files and combined into one large PDF file accompanied by those wonderful Reunion charts. I have included very few footnotes. I have not provided any sources or detailed references. I have mentioned that the sources for all facts are with me in various formats. The chapters are heavy on anecdotes with basic facts.

I see this project as being similar to Wikipedia. Those family members who are interested can research areas of interest and feed it back for subsequent Editions.

Any thoughts ?
    Nic Maennling
    Lanark, Ontario
    Canada

Comment

Nick,

Thanks for your opinion. However I wonder what you might be doing in various increments. Do you have a sample of what you have done to share?

Frank
      Frank Zwolinski
      Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
      MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
        Nick,

Thanks for your opinion. However I wonder what you might be doing in various increments. Do you have a sample of what you have done to share?

Frank
        I would be happy to share. I'm away until late August and will send you my Ed.1.0 then. My address is maennlingnic@gmail.com. Drop me a line and I will add you to the mailing list.
        Nic Maennling
        Lanark, Ontario
        Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Maennling View Post
          I've given this much thought over the years thanks to Reunion readers. I've come full circle in my own philosophy regarding the publishing of my family history and dealing with old family photographs. I am about to launch Ed.1.0 ! It is a project with infinite scope.

It's difficult to face, but very few of ones family members will be interested in the family history, especially the youngsters.

I have chosen to write a chapter for each of my forebears up to my great-great-grandparents in a word processor. These I have turned into PDF files and combined into one large PDF file accompanied by those wonderful Reunion charts. I have included very few footnotes. I have not provided any sources or detailed references. I have mentioned that the sources for all facts are with me in various formats. The chapters are heavy on anecdotes with basic facts.

I see this project as being similar to Wikipedia. Those family members who are interested can research areas of interest and feed it back for subsequent Editions.

Any thoughts ?
          Nic Maennling
          Subject: Easy for the Casual Reader?

You are not just posing a question but, indeed, the ultimate genealogy question: how to publish for the after-world. Long ago, I understood that Reunion, external drives, CDs, and DVDs are temporary, ephemeral storage media, becoming dead, unreadable material in a few decades (think Mac OS XII.7 in year 2059). Answer? Printed material on good paper, a la Gutenberg.
          I my case, I chose to create and print books for family branches, sometimes just for families, containing history, anecdotes, as well as pages with charts, and picture pages with portraits, maps, old homes etc.etc.etc. Selected and combined in various ways, in ring binders. And I gave copies to appropriate people.
          Expensive? - a little bit. Hard work?
          FolkeB-San D.

Comment

Working...
          X