This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Flow for Two Researchers

My wife and a cousin are both using Reunion 10 to work on a rather large family from afar. They would both like to be able to make edits, and then at some point share changes. I would appreciate some suggestions as to a good work flow that might help them organize and keep their edits organized. Syncing strategies would be optimal, but any suggestions will be considered and appreciated.

Thanks in advance from a long time user of Reunion.....I think version 3.......

Re: Work Flow for Two Researchers

Originally posted by Don Marchant View Post
    My wife and a cousin are both using Reunion 10 to work on a rather large family from afar. They would both like to be able to make edits, and then at some point share changes. I would appreciate some suggestions as to a good work flow that might help them organize and keep their edits organized. Syncing strategies would be optimal, but any suggestions will be considered and appreciated.

Thanks in advance from a long time user of Reunion.....I think version 3.......
    I do have a couple suggestions, both of which are based on the answer to this question:

Would they like to use the same family file?

1. If so, some of our users take turns entering information into the family file. I.e., while Person A has the file, Person B does nothing with it. After entering some information, Person A sends the updated family file back to Person B so he/she can enter information into it. (At that time, Person A does nothing with the file.) Many of those who do this transfer the updated family file back and forth on a weekly basis.

The family file can be transferred via several methods. The most common are via email attachment or by using DropBox.

In either case, be sure the most up-to-date family file is being used and that it is only being edited while on the hard drive of the computer being used. (I.e., it should not be edited while on a server or on DropBox.)

2. However, if they would rather use separate family files and simply share common information, I recommend that they mark the people (that they would like to share with the other person) as they enter them into their family file and/or as they edit them. And, from time to time, export those marked records using Reunion's Export -> Reunion Family File feature. (Since they are each using Reunion 10, sources and any linked multimedia items can be easily sent along with that exported file.)

The person receiving it can import those records into their family file and link them up appropriately (i.e., husband to wife, father to son, etc.) and/or do a Match and Merge to merge any duplicated records into one.

Information about marking people, exporting a Reunion family file, importing a Reunion family file, and in matching and merging records can be found in their manual by searching for "marking," "export family file," "import family file," and "match merge," respectively. (To access the manual, click on the "?" in the lower-left corner of the Reunion window or choose Help -> Contents.)

I hope this information is helpful in deciding what would work best for your wife and her cousin:-)
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
    X